Forums    General Discussions    New e-mail notification?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New e-mail notification?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted
My forum e-mail notifications have changed. Is that on purpose? I used to get a notification for subscribed threads or sections, that would actually show me what was posted in the e-mail. Now I just get an e-mail with a long list of instructions about why I'm getting the e-mail. Wink And it says what section to check for the reason for receiving the e-mail. Kinda confusing but I think I'm getting used to it. Have everyone's notifications changed? Sorry if I missed any other forum updates on this...

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I am getting the same email. I never read the emails before the change, they only alerted me there was a response to something I was interested in. They still have the same effect for me.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the question... I can explain.

Members kept responding to those email by hitting "Reply to this Email" and typing a response.

Because Barthmobile sent it to you, I would get the email back with your private thoughts and the other persons private message to you.

Because of this I was accused of reading other peoples emails or being able to read private messages.

I made a decision that I didn't want to keep putting up with being accused of snooping. I can't read anyone's emails or PMs unless you send them back to me.

I've given tutorials and I've tried to teach members that it wasn't productive to send me something that I couldn't do anything about.

I had to read them to respond back to the OP to let them know they made a mistake by sending it to me... So, I started to delete them instead of reading them... this lead to confusion to why they weren't getting responses from their PMs.

I couldn't win. No matter what I did I was painted into a corner. So, now you get a blanket letter and it's up to you to decide what you want to do with it.

If you respond back to it, it gets deleted without me even seeing it... now, no more accusations or hard feelings on this for me... I am a happier camper now.

Here is the original tutorial and at the bottom is me announcing the new feature for email notifications.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...141058923#9141058923

Here is Dave being creeped out too.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...701052112#9701052112

He didn't understand what was going on... I did. Now, I put a stop to it and everyone just gets a notice to read their PMs or their post they have subscribed to.

The other option was to turn off the forwarding service, I didn't want to do that and opted for this instead. The forwarding service uses the same message no matter what is forwarded so it is rather drawn out.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Just "thinking out loud" on this one Bill, but if the emails simply said "View the Post" and gave us a place to click I think that would take care of 99% of the problem. I, for one, simply use it to go to the site anyway to see what's happening.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou:
Just "thinking out loud" on this one Bill, but if the emails simply said "View the Post" and gave us a place to click.
Same email goes to new members who have just registered too... I have a support ticket into our hosting service to see if there is a way to send individual custom letters for each type of forwarded email

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Bill, that fully explains it and I can certainly understand your rationale!

If you ever did go back to the original format, perhaps it could come from an unmonitored e-mail box too so you wouldn't be receiving the replies personally. The standard "THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE - PLEASE VISIT THE FORUM TO REPLY" could be placed in there, if you determine that you can indeed draft custom reply messages.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
Sounds good Bill, that fully explains it and I can certainly understand your rationale!
I just got an apology for being accused of snooping... 2 from members who never accuse me and 1 from a member who did.

I think I've made it clear, now and in the past, I can not read what you write unless you send it to me.

Scott and Lou, I have taken your suggestions and we will see. Your PMs and your Digests will once again come with the full bodied text.

If you Reply to that email, I will be able to read your PMs. You are in control of what I can read and not read.

Do you know why this bothered me, and in the past Dave, so much? Because what was being said is none of our business.

How can I reply to the person who just sent me a PM that talked about _______________?

Personally, I don't care what you think about _______________.

If you want to know what other members think about _______________. Well then, I have the perfect, NON-Paying, job for you. Would anyone like to volunteer to be my PM Czar? head bang

Your Private thoughts are that... Private. If you send it to me and I read it, it's because you sent it to me. Look in the mirror and be upset with yourself because honestly now, I don't know what else to tell you. Ooops

Yes, you are seeing a little frustration. Not with an honest mistake, we all make em, but with the next person who was thinking that I really wanted to read your private message.

Against my better judgment, I have re-initiated the "Full Text" forwarding feature on our site.

It will now say.
quote:
If you are A NEW MEMBER, jump below and read this post, you MUST CLICK A LINK to be confirmed.

Everyone else: "THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE - PLEASE VISIT THE BARTHMOBILE FORUM TO REPLY". Do not hit "Reply to this email"

If you need additional help, type up a new email and in the subject line write: Help Needed.
Good luck to those who keep responding to "AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE". head bang

BTW: If you just got an email from me directing you here and it told you to read this entire post... You now know why!!! nono
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I am a happier camper now.
I'm not going to go that far just yet... Let's see what happens first.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis