Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth 1990 or 1991
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi,
I found a Barth 24 or I think it's a 25 1990 or 1991 with a Ford 460. I believe it's a Regal model.
Can anyone tell me if this engine would be fuel injection ?
Any idea of MPG ( highway ) for this unit ?
Please any pros /cons on this model.
Thank you and be well.
Ed

Posts: 4 | Location: Rhode Island USA | Member Since: 11-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I think it will have early fuel injection. They are more like electronic carburetors than true metered injection like you find on more modern vehicles.

My guess on mileage, 10 MPG. They are good motors, similar to the GM 454, but seem to last longer in the HD applications I've seen these gas big blocks used in. What tranny is behind it?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check on the tranny.
It's on consignment,so I'll unable to talk with the owners.
Would 9-10k be a good price for this unit ( 65k miles)assuming it's in decent condition ?
ED

Posts: 4 | Location: Rhode Island USA | Member Since: 11-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'd say 9 grand would be a very good price, if it's in very good condition and the expensive things all check out. Fridge, AC [rooftop], Generator, brakes, and tires are all things that can add significantly to the price if you have to replace them before you can enjoy the coach. As Corey said, don't expect more than 10 mpg. That way, if you get better, it's a bonus!
As with all Barths,a couple of pictures and the data tag would help us give info to you.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
They are more like electronic carburetors than true metered injection like you find on more modern vehicles.
You might be thinking about GM's earlier Fuel Injection Engines from this era.

The 460 in my 1991 Ford Powered coach has (MPFI) Multi-Port Fuel injection coupled to a C6 Transmission. Each cylinder has it's own injector located just above the intake port of the cylinder.

My 1988 Ford F350 Service truck also had the same MPFI on its 460 engine.

Jack's 1989 Barth has a carburetor on his 460.

The earliest case I can find of a fuel injected 460 was tag#9006-3676-28JB-5 built by Barth on 6/25/90

I have talked to several 460 powered coach owners and it seems that Oshkosh/John Deere started to install the 460 MPFI somewhere around the mid 1990.

Is this a pusher or puller - Engine in the front or rear?

Get me an image of the data tag and I'll try to research it for you. Send it to bill_ny@barthmobile.com

Pros: Usually have a bigger storage area below the floorline - Usually, the interior height is slightly taller compared to a GM powered Regal - Easier Starting

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might be thinking about GM's earlier Fuel Injection Engines from this era.

You're right. In my mind I was thinking of the more familiar GM TBI, but I was also trying to relay that early fuel injection even when multi-port, were not very efficient on the fuel saving side. The upside is that they don't have five computers and 20 sensors to make em run!

A friend of mine runs a Porsche shop, he just replaced the 4 O2 sensors on a Boxter to the tune of better than $500. And he put on the generic ones to save the customer money. Ouch

Anyway, one big advantage I see with any injection system is that the fuel can't evaporate as quickly from the system due to air not being present.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
The upside is that they don't have five computers and 20 sensors to make em run!
Let me count the ways...

ACCS A/C Cycling Switch aka A/C Compressor cycling sensor
ACT Air Charge Temperature sensor
BP Barometric Pressure sensor
CANP Canister Purge solenoid
ECT Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
EGO Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor
EGRC EGR Control solenoid
EGRV EGR Vent solenoid
EVP EGR Position sensor
EVR EGR Valve Regulator
FPM Fuel Pump Monitor
HEGO Heated EGO sensor
ITS Idle Tracking Switch aka Idle Validation Switch
KS Knock Sensor
MAF Mass Air Flow sensor
MAP Manifold absolute pressure switch
PFE Pressure Feedback EGR sensor/circuit
PSPS Power Steering Pressure Switch
TP/TPS Throttle Position Sensor
TTS Transmission Temperature Switch
VSC Vehicle Speed Control aka VSS or Vehicle Speed Sensor

This is what a typical EEC-IV system covered for 1990'ish. Notice that the fuel injectors, fuel pump or the distributor isn't even included.

For the pump you have a signal wire going to a micro relay sending the power to the in-tank or frame mounted fuel pump. This is further controlled by a rollover protection sensor switch.

The Distributor has a (I think) a "Hall Effect" pickup sensor that sends and receives signals from the ECU and controls the spark to the Coil.

Stuff like the power steering and a/c switch won't make it run bad, it could however cause a low idle or a stall condition if it powers down too much. Also, one sensor shorting out will lower the 5v reference voltage to the other sensors.

And all I get is a silly light on my dash that says E.U.L. that tells you to fix the engines electronics/sensors so you can...
Extended Useful Life. mechanic

Nope, you're right, it does not have 5 computers. Big Grin

Here's a quick post from last year when I had the EUL on.

BTW: Does it have an EUL on the dash ED? - If it does, it is MPFI. If it doesn't, it still might be.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I get more time, I will make a list of what my carbed 84 has. It might be as much.

Whenever I have alphabet soup, I think of hooking up all my smog hoses and wires after the engine swap.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my FI experience is with VWs. In that case the later Digifonics are far superior to the earlier CIS injection. It is one case where I will admit newer is better.

posted Hide Post
Well that was quick,the Barth was sold yesterday.
I hope one of the members got it.
Pretty sure it sold for $9500K
Thanks again,
Ed

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Was it this one?

http://www.carsforsale.com/use...ARTH_BARTH_117609194

I talked to them on Monday and got the data tag number sent to me last night.

I was going to shoot you a PM today to see if this was the one before I put it up under sightings.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis