Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    not broken
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

not broken
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
Put the balancer on today.When I took off the old one, the rubber was half gone.it comes in balanced has a center hole and 4, 13mm socket head screws.just put it on and was finished.I orderd the 4 screws that were needed to mount it.
The back brace that I took off was a safety thing
the balancer could not come all the way apart.The brace kept it captured.The man at cummins said they do come apart.
lenny
WHO WANTS GO CAMPING

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I had to replace the damper on my 5.9L Cummins, I was also told this is a fairly common problem particularly when the RV sits for a long period of time. I am not sure of the other configurations but on mine, the serpentine belt is driven off the damper and the pulley that is on the damper is isolated by the rubber ring. Sitting for long periods of time, with the belt tension on the pulley, will cause the rubber to compress in 1 of 3 spots and before long the damper will wiggle. The 1 of 3 spots are determined by 1 of 3 compression strokes per revolution. (6 cylinder)

Mine wasn't chewing up belts but it sure did have a wobble, more then 1/8 of an inch. Cummins also said that crankshaft failure can happen if the damper rubber is badly decomposed and the engine run long enough in that condition.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lucky I found it, the damper was not lining up the belt anymore,which caused it to throw off the belt and put to much PRESSURE on the water pump bearings during the process , and caused it to go bad. Total parts were $262 for oil change (with all filters including fuel FILTERS) .$227.00 for new water pump.$400.00 for dampener. Since last February the coat for 4 new tires on rear, 2 oil changes.Oil and water sensors for the generator.new sliding window that is plexiglas,plus one alternator That was a rip off at $300.00 plus some small stuff. Also the first oil change was a rip off $400.00 all most as much as Nicks universal joint.Isn't fun plus the price of fuel looks like it is starting to go UP for summer.Now WE want to use it again.

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
I have not shared this with you guys yet, when Helen and I left Nashville after our New Years Eve celebration aboard the General Jackson, we made it about 100 yards down the road when our damper took a dump. It slung the belt and stopped when it came into contact with the rear cross-member. We turned around, went back to Two Rivers RV Park and pontificated on our next move. it was New Years Day and naturally, everything was closed. I stripped her down, and after many attempts, I was able to use the rear leveling jacks to press the assembly back together. I mounted it and had Helen fire her up only to find out that even though I had timed the assembly, it shook badly around 1k RPM's. After some telephone time, Cummins Cross-Point's man-on-call did not have internet access to check availability at the Nashville Store and he lived an hour out of town. In other words, don't bother me. I logged into Webcumpas on Cummins.com and saw that Cummins Midsouth in Memphis had two. We lined up to meet there at 5:30 PM, got the new damper & drove the 3 1/2 hrs back to Nashville. The next morning, 18 degrees and snowing, I put everything back together with a new belt and we headed home, again. Upon arrival, I backed the Barth into our house and made firewood out of our cherry bedroom cabinets. A story for another time. Damage to the house, $100 for a new gutter; The Barth, $11,000 and counting. Happy New Year !

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 373 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know bill stuff happens.Not everybody thinks about the damper.it seems that this about the time to hear about this happening more often.we are planning to make a stop at your place on the way to Milford BY way of Texas
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We've talked about the harmonic balancer on a Cummins in the past. It is my firm belief that the lower pulley should be attached to the inside of the harmonic balancer. Instead, on the 8.3L, it is attached to the outside of the balancer. It is more of an issue if the pulley groove is offset from the balancer.

Here is a blurb from a few years ago on this subject. The harmonic balancer on most RV's do not get used enough to stay balanced. It really has more to do with the age of the rubber and the tensions only being left in one of three spots when the engine is not running.

I would recommend to everyone who has not changed their harmonic balancer to at least have it checked. Because of age, most of you will be changing them out sooner, rather than later. This recommendation is mostly directed towards the Cummins owners, but it couldn't hurt to check if you own something else.

If you do change your balancer, look into a Fluid Damper Style harmonic balancer.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you take any pictures of the damage to the M.H.
I all ways did just to make some body would think before they did the same thing.
I backed into the top corner of my house with a trailer, I had the wife looking at the sides not at the top' before I stopped the house jumped into my way and put a v shaped hole in it at the bend of the trailer took off the ,part of the roof and the mirrors over the bed. Back then I was very poor like now and did all of the work myself. took out the hole summer and camping season
lenny
PS X wife kept all of the pics. I do not know why they do that? but they allll do....

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
What are we looking-for *visually* when inspecting the Harmonic Balancer???

Have had problems with serpentine belts and the tensioner and also had the front cover gasket removed and replaced due to a significant oil leak ...sure wish I would have replaced the balancer at that time.

It *seems* and *appears* that the engine is running great at this time [other than the fact that everything is burried in snow and I probably won't be going anywhere any time soon].

The cold and the snow just keep coming here in MN, but that is normal. Would hate to be dealing-with the problems out-east or in CA right now...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On ours when We threw the belts and noticed that the belt was not perpendicular to the front of the motor.I could see the serpentine belt from the right side of the motor if it does not look perfectly strait with the motor,water pump, alternator,damper and the tensioner it is not running true.
the crossmember in front of the crankshaft has enough room to slide the belt on.when you put the belt on it should be VERY easy to put on.If it is hard to put over the water pump ridge something is out of line.with the belt off wiggle the water pump if it wiggles it is most likely bad.
My damper was loose enough to pry it back in place with a screw driver between the damper and the crossmember.you can call me if you don't understand I am not a very good explainer I don,t know $100/words very well.I am auditory not visual
(that crossmember will not let the damper come all the way off)
lenny
1-239-659-1672

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
billyt53 should of called .i think i posted my number for u ! was on vacation would of been glad to help any thats in my area! if im not at work !

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
What are we looking-for *visually* when inspecting the Harmonic Balancer???
Look for excessive wobble, cracking of the rubber between the 2 pieces and look to see if the timing marks are still aligned. If it is of a viscous style, look for leaks.

It is always preferable to purchase a viscous style damper to a rubber one. Most current big diesel engines use a viscous style damper.

If your front main seal is leaking and oil gets in there, it will speed up the deterioration of the rubber between the harmonic balancer.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
My previous oil leak allerted-me to what you had stated previously and has raised the level of concern.

Will be one of the first things I check-out and have the mechanic inspect once I'm back-in-service for 2010!

Thanks!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post