Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Disconnect Relay-Twice failed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Disconnect Relay-Twice failed
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
...but the wiring diagram that I have clearly shows a on/off switch arrangement and not a latching system.

Myself, Rusty and Bill H could tell you that some engineers, builders or pencil pushers might have...
1) Taken a shortcut.
2) Didn't know any better.
3) Tried to save a buck.
4) Drew it on the plans wrong and the masses on the floor blindly followed.
5) Really felt that this was better.
6) Might have offered the other as an upgrade.

I'm invoking Rusty and Bill H names in here because anyone like them that's been around has come to the conclusion that blindly following the same thing over and over again doesn't lead to an answer...

It's the question I keep asking, I'm sure they say the same thing... we mumble within:
Hummm, that's odd, why did that fail?
and then we say:
There's got to be a better way!

I'm sure when my kids go to pack me off to the funny farm they will hear all my crazy talking I've done to myself.
Wink Ps: Rusty is already there! Wink Shields up! Big Grin

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to a trailer supply company in hopes they could find the relay locally. Instead the owner argued that all trailers and RV's are wired with power constant to the relay that I have...and...why don't I just install a toggle switch to shutoff the power to the relay?..it doesn't draw that much power..He would have to investigate! I tried to tell him that by design the circuit was incorrect in function but he continued to argue. Anyway I just finished ordering the relay from Ecovantage on-line.

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
I tried to tell him that by design the circuit was incorrect in function but he continued to argue.

You stuck to your ground. You know better now. I have this same problem when trying to straighten out engineers designs and HillBilly rigging.

He told you something like... I sell this other style all the time: Yes he does!

I like solutions, not reoccurring problems.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Bill NY

I understand your statement completely! My quoted comment was in response the question of if I had the coach since new, inferring that the relay system may have been changed from a latching style to an on/off style. It wasn't!

I am a EE by education and have spent 40 years or so designing UPS systems and AC power inverter/DC motor drives. I have been crew chief or lead mechanic on numerous racing teams and currently rebuild or refurbish older sports cars. (retirement hobby)

I am not defending Barth's decision to use a on/off relay system at all, it certainly wasn't the best way and as I mentioned I will be changing this system.

Since going thru my Barth, I have found quite a few things that I personally don't like the way those were either designed or implimented. The Barth's basic design is VERY good and a VERY GOOD platform to work with, and that is why I serached so long for the right Barth instead of a plastic and stick design.

One of the first things I do when there is a failure is do a failure analysis and implement corrective actions.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found quite a few things that I personally don't like the way those were either designed or implimented. The Barth's basic design is VERY good and a VERY GOOD platform to work with, and that is why I serached so long for the right Barth instead of a plastic and stick design.

One of the first things I do when there is a failure is do a failure analysis and implement corrective actions.

And you're a very smart man at that. Then you must know the level of incompetence and general lack of betterment that some mechanics seem to strive for. I want to know how everything works, and I don't mind looking like a dope if I learn something. I have no fear (except of the wife) of learning or teaching. I love my vocation.

I got a private email today and was told that his Barth was also wired like yours and hilarlee and asked if "maybe I might be mistaken". I thought about it some more and can't see where I fell off the track so I'm thinking it was on that list of 6 things that could have happened.

I even went to the Intellec website and found the spec sheet on that latching solenoid. They wire it a little (very little) different but it is the same reversing principle on the switch so I'll leave it alone in that respect.

The Email stated that his electrical knowledge "could fit into a thimble" but because he likes reading my postings didn't want to "embarrass you" (meaning me) but thought that I should know that you were right about the wiring diagram because "mine (meaning his coach) is like that too".

Why would someone have solar panels on a coach and then have a power draw for something as stupid as a constant duty solenoid? Why have a power draw at all when all it's doing is killing the batteries. It has to be a factory flub or a money saving thing. I don't know, but if I was there I would have made a strong argument for doing it like it's posted here.

We can arm people with knowledge and debate the merits of something. I love being proven wrong, It means that I learned something new. People like the way I can describe things over the phone and not sound like an "engineer" when describing something. You need to describe it like you're putting a picture into someone's mind, that way you usually see your own mistakes.

The trick is trying to sound like you're not talking down to people. That is the tough part because I don't know what anyone's background is. When I explain or respond to anything I make sure the maximum amount of people can benefit, even if some of what I say sounds basic to one person, Trust me, another one hasn't a clue. I love it when a light goes on in someone's head, it will help them out in the future I'm sure.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If I were a betting man (and I am not) I would say it is a cost thing, I am sure the latching relays cost more, an extra piece of wire, bla, bla bla, Bean counters do get their way and they were the biggest source of sleepless nights when I was a design engineer.

My solar panel charges even when the relay is off which is another thing that I don't like because charging technology and understanding of lead-acid battery technology in the late '80s/early '90s wasn't as good as it is today. I am looking into replacing the solar control panel with a later design that has better charging curves.

How about this one? I noticed in the Cummins manual that it says to check the harmonic damper for alignment, there are two marks, one on the hub and one on the damper, if more then 1/16 of an inch movement, replace the damper. So I look, spot on!, good! then I start the engine and look at the damper---holy cow--- did that thing wobble, almost 1/8 inch at the edge! well beyond the .035" the spec for wobble is. So I get a new damper---good grief--- the pulley for the main drive belt is attached to the damper ring and not the hub!!! So what that means is if the coach sits for a long period of time, the tension of the drive belt will put a constant compression on one spot on the damper isolation rubber and cock the damper.

Does Cummins see a lot of this, NO, but when they do, it is usually on low mileage RVs! Make one wonder doesn't it!

As I intend to use my Barth very often I am not worried about this issue but if I were going to let it sit for extended periods, I would change the damper to a fluid damper that is available (from Cummins for higher RPM operation)that has the pulley attached directly to the hub!

I believe we think alike Bill, I am also very curious about how things work and how they were designed, and of course many times I sit back and wonder-----WHY-----

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Regarding the "Trailer Expert"'s suggestion to put in a toggle switch to shut off the the relay - what did that Bozo think the switch inside the coach does?

I think the use of a hot relay instead of a latching relay probably boiled down to "it's always been done this way!" in the days before solar panels, where a few ma of current weren't an issue.

My background is marine engineering (think EE/ME), and when I was an IG, I was tasked to determine why a landing craft's bow ramp hadn't been able to be raised, either by the motor or manually (the weather kicked up and the seas caused the ramp to break off). Here's an example of inertia....

I determined there were three issues:

1. The clutch on the ramp gear had failed
2. The manual raising mechanism (a gearbox and crank) operated through the clutch
3. The clutch failed because specs (prodcues by an engineer) called for the pads to be fastened with aluminum pop rivets (and they had failed due to creep and shear)

So I found the OinC and Craftmaster not culpable, and recommended that all craft be retrofitted with stainless steel pop rivets. For my troubles I was chastized by my admiral. As it turned out, his admiral had already decided to sack these two individuals ("Don't confuse me with facts!") A week later a Navy-wide FieldAlt went out to install the SS rivets. Total cost to the taxpayers, for all 600 vessels: $540. As it turned out (my admiral privately told me later) that the sheared rivets - never before all of 'em on one clutch - had been noticed and reported, and the aluminum rivets were still specified by engineering... Mad

As to the crankshaft damper, my '81 Nissan Maxima 2.8L diesel had a similar arrangment - I used to replace it every 60K miles...

A final comment about engineers (exempting any on this forum, of course): The difference between an engineer and a technician is that an engineer can tell you how something works. He can't, however, tell you why it doesn't work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The difference between an engineer and a technician is that an engineer can tell you how something works. He can't, however, tell you why it doesn't work.

My take is a little different:
The difference between an engineer and a technician is that an engineer can tell you how he thinks it should work.

The technician knows the engineer doesn't have to fix his mistakes, so the technician will have to re-engineer it.

A technician is the final quality control. He must be a "real world" engineer.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Of course, the real key for the engineer is to place the blame on the technician for failing to maintain the thing properly... Cool

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Of course, the real key for the engineer is to place the blame on the technician for failing to maintain the thing properly... Cool

If he didn't how would he keep his job?

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, as a fallback, there's always the Engineering and Design Committee.... Wink

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about this one? I noticed in the Cummins manual that it says to check the harmonic damper for alignment...

...if the coach sits for a long period of time, the tension of the drive belt will put a constant compression on one spot on the damper isolation rubber and cock the damper.

I would change the damper to a fluid damper...that has the pulley attached directly to the hub!

I am also very curious about how things work and how they were designed, and of course many times I sit back and wonder-----WHY-----

This slipped by me the other day but now I thought I would answer this.

Cummins will have you believe they do not see alot of this: On trucks, buses, motor homes I have seen these fail. The design with the pulley attached to the wrong side is a "flub" that has been around far too long.

Go out to your coach and place 3 marks on your harmonic balancer. Do it like you would for a triangle. Three marks at 3 points being equal.

Start up and shut down your coach 100 times. The marks will be in the same place 99 percent of the times. Really, I'm not kidding.

The belief that this is an isolated incident unique to motor homes is false. Just about every time you shut your coach off it stops at one of three places.

They stop because of the high compression ratio's of a diesel. I know this to be true for several reasons.

I have done it to figure out why the 8.3 Cummins has been going thru ring gears. The flywheel (ring gear) only wears out in one of three places. The ring gear is too weak.

When doing a diesel tune up you must manually crank over the engine. For my own help after I find #1 TDC I bar the motor over and find the next cylinder at TDC. I mark the crank, adjust valves and bar it over again adjusting valves and marking the next spot. After that the next 3 are in the same place so I don't have to waste time trying to line it up because it's already done.

Each time I shut off the engine the mark is always at the same spot. The motor always starts/stops in one of three spots.

The belief that because the motor will be run alot would work out well in a linehaul operation, but that's not going to happen in your coach. It will take longer to happen, but happen it will. Do yourself a favor and change to the one piece viscous style the next time around.

Frowner Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Frowner

---------WHY---------
I just don't know what some engineers think. If you can figure it out let me know.

posted Hide Post
ARGH! I just completed the installation of the new Intellitech relay and DPDT switch. I ordered both part numbers suggested in this post and wired everything precisely as directed. I should mention that I used the 12VDC ceiling lights and turned them ON for test purposes. Immediately I noticed the ceiling lights stay ON. When I press the disconnect switch to the "OFF" position the first 10-15 times, nothing ut a clicking sound comes from the relay. Finally it disconnected 12VDC power to the interior of the coach and the ceiling light shut off.This worked for about 20 consecutive times. Double checked connections, final tightened the power leads to the relay. Went to test circuit-clicking noise from relay but no disconnect. I tested the switch in both positions and I measure 11.7VDC back at the relay on either switching post when the power switch is toggled on or off. Defective relay? Under rated relay? So far I have not been able to get the relay to disconnect. Any suggestions?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I just went to there website and pulled up the diagram for the Latching relay. It clearly shows the reversing aspect making and breaking and reversing power.

Check it out at

http://www.intellitec.com/PDF/5300066.100.pdf

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just so we don't leave anybody in suspense... The latching relay worked for about 20 times before failure. It worked with the switch as drawn out earlier in this post. The relay setup and diagram are correct, it did (past tense) work as described without additional power consumption.

Frowner Thrice-failed! Frowner

You can hear it latching and unlatching by reversing the current (different type of noise) but it is not releasing the latch. The new relay that they got has failed. It's rather depressing but stuff like this happens.

This is not the case on this installation but on an additional note: Sometimes a relay if they are tightened down too tight/uneven surface or the cable is pulled/cocked a relay can fail as well. Always be carefull on how tight you go with the cables and what a relay is mounted to.