Tools
Reply To This Topic

Data tag info, weight & tire questions
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted
Hi folks,

Please decipher: 9002-3660-36T-S6
Owner believes it's a 34' but this tag has me thinking it's 36', so please correct me if I'm mistaken and also kindly advise as to what model and any other info you can decipher?

Vehicle is a front engine 460 fuel injected V8 auto trans.

Weight: Front: 6,340 Rear: 12,000 GVWR 18,340

Tires 8Rx19.5F

Given that the ebay 460 pusher weighed about 30,000lbs and thus was considered too puny an engine for such a huge load, am I wrong to conclude that the front 460 on this much lighter Barth would be sufficiant? Bear in mind we are not towing anything, but on the average we will have about 500lbs of dogs, crates and show equiptment with us.

My other question is what does the "F" mean on a tire size of 19.5F and what do they cost?

Also on the data tag it states "5900lb graining tag". What is that?

Diane

Posts: 24 | Location: Staten Island & the Catskills, NY | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diane:
It seems to be a 1990-Regal-36Foot-Tag Axle. Is it a Tag axle right?
quote:
Also on the data tag it states "5900lb graining tag"
This would be the first time we've seen anything longer than a 34 Foot gasser and the first time we've seen a Ford Powered Coach having a Tag axle. Did you get a vin# or pictures?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, but i think the F is the load range for the tire. It tells you the max weight that the tire can handle. The other part that you have to know is how much weight is on that axle.....you want a tire that can support that much weight or more safely.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"F" is indeed the load range, and they run $250-300 each.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I run 225-75R19.5 G on mine, the actual weight on the axles it to close for safety with G rated tires, at least for my comfort. Also the tires can be run at a lower pressure.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here you go... a 36' Tag Axle Barth Regal with a Ford 460

TAG# 9002-3660-36T-S6
VIN# 17N540425KW022900

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
This would be the first time we've seen anything longer than a 34 Foot gasser and the first time we've seen a Ford Powered Coach having a Tag axle. Did you get a vin# or pictures?

Yes Bill and I've sent you 2 pixs of the coach's exterior in one email and the VIN# with VIN search results in another email. The seller is an elderly gentleman who read all the data tag numbers right off of it during our phone conversation.

Assuming he read all the numbers correctly, then it's unsettling to learn that it's the first 36' gasser that's been seen here, as well as the first Ford powered coach to have a tag axle.
Soooo what concerns should we have?
Will this engine be problematic even though it is relatively much lighter than the ebay pusher? It's our understanding that tag axles supposedly give a smoother ride. Am I correct to assume that the tag axle would cause less drain on this coach's engine? We're very interested in this coach, and we welcome everyone's info and opinions on it.

Furthermore, the VIN search shows a 208" wheel base. Is that good enough for this size coach?

The VIN search also states that the GVWR is: Class 5: 16,001-19,500 lb, which is about 1,000 lbs more than what is stated on the data tag. Is is par for the course for the data tag and the VIN to have a difference of nearly 1,000lbs?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but you folks certainly know more about these things than we do!
Heartfelt thanks,
Diane

Posts: 24 | Location: Staten Island & the Catskills, NY | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Based on the tag info from that era it appears to be a Specialty Vehicle. This means that it was not original built as an RV but was most likely a commercial unit.

Seeing that this is the first 36" long gasser we've had, and also the first time we've seen a Tag Axle on a JohnDeere/Oshkosh Chassis... Well, let's just say that it doesn't fit the mold of what we know.

The tag axle would be a stabilizing factor on a coach that long. It would also help hold the weight on the rear overhang too.

It might even keep you from doing wheelies... Big Grin

Can you find out more about this coach and maybe get some more pictures? Including one of the tag?

I have a 460 in my 33' Barth and I know my coach has great power. Another 3 foot isn't really that long so I would suspect that you shouldn't have a problem.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As we all know, "No two Barths are alike". I'm not familiar with the Ford 460, but power would be affected most by weight.

I'm confused by the data tag - on the other thread, it shows as a 34'

quote:
Hi Bill et al

The tag # is: 8609-3361-34TS 32
So from what I've learned on this forum thus far, it was made in Sept of '86, is a 34 footer, but I'm clueless as to what model it is?

The VIN# is: 1GBKP37W2G3319381

now it's a 36'. The GVWR is also a bit light; my 28' is 16K lbs. This 6'-8' larger coach is rated at ~18K; my understanding is that the tag axle rating (which seems logical from Diane's report) of ~6K should be included into the GVW.

IN any event, I'd get it weighed.

Bill NY, what's the GVWR on your 33'?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diane:

Owner believes it's a 34' but this tag has me thinking it's 36'

My 30 ft tag axle Barth is called a 30T on my data plate.

quote:
Also on the data tag it states "5900lb graining tag". What is that?

Diane

Could that be Granning?

Granning is an axle manufacturer.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm confused by the data tag - on the other thread, it shows as a 34'

Hi Rusty,

The other thread is an entirely different Barth. That one is an '86 in Orlando and we've decided to pass on it. The Barth on this thread is a 1990 that I found today and we are very seriously considering it, hence the need to learn as much as possible about it.
Sorry for the confusion.

Diane Smiler

Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you find out more about this coach and maybe get some more pictures? Including one of the tag?

Oh to be sure I'm working on that Bill! Wink
Thus far what I know: Current owner has had it for about 5+ years. Basically it's been his "project" vehicle, so with the exception of the several hundred miles he drove it upon purchase, he's only driven it locally since then and he claims it runs good, but no doubt it will need new tires, belts, hoses, etc. He just put a new alternator in it which was encouraging to hear, so hopefully he's kept on top of it with regular tune-ups, oil changes, etc., but then again one never knows.
The negatives: There is no generator, the refrig needs a thermal coupler, the rear A/C is not working and there's a "ding" in the windshield. I don't see any awnings on it, so we'll need them. He also does not have any binders or paperwork on it...darn my luck. Frowner
The pluses: He has put in a new stove(Wedgewood by Atwood, are they good stoves?), new propane tank with regulators, new furnace, new 10 gal water heater, water tank and water pump. The cabintry is oak and he installed oak wainscoating.
An area of concern for me is that he stated that the floor was soft in spots so he tore it out and replaced it with new plywood. He claimed the old floor was particle board, would Barth have used particle board in 1990?
He also claimed there's been no leaks, so then why did the floor go soft?
He wallpapered above the wainscoating and 3 days later it all peeled off, this also suggests moisture issues IMO, but yet it could be some other reason like maybe he didn't clean or prime the walls first. What do y'all think?

Health issues have prevented him from installing the finish floor and his health is also the reason why he is selling it. Finish floors are a piece of cake for us to do.
The layout as described by the seller is what we desire; rear queen bedroom accessed by a center aisle with full bath on one side and closits across from it, then the kitchen, and living room. Needless to say I can't wait to get some interior photos!
-----------------------------------------------
Bill wrote: "I have a 460 in my 33' Barth and I know my coach has great power. Another 3 foot isn't really that long so I would suspect that you shouldn't have a problem."
------------------------------------------------
That is music to our ears Bill! Will post more info and photos as soon as I get them. I hope this is the one, if it is we will indeed be at the GTG in Wash, DC, Woo hoo!!

PS: Regarding Granning tag you are correct, Graining was a typo on my part. LOL D'oh
Diane

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Just to make this a little more mysterious, I've seen more pics of the coach and the rear has engine compartment doors, i.e., pusher?? Also someone closed up a rear access door on the drivers side and what looks like a rear fuel filler door on the passenger side. This will be a real interesting Barth to try to figure out what it was originally.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Just to make this a little more mysterious, the rear has engine compartment doors, i.e., pusher??

Hmmmm.........a pusher with a tag axle?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
...and the rear has engine compartment doors, i.e., pusher??

This will be a real interesting Barth to try to figure out what it was originally.
Not a Pusher. It was bought from a Police Department.

Also, from the interior pictures alone, this seems to be in better shape than mine was when I got it. Computer

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis