Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Turbo and Injection Pump Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Turbo and Injection Pump Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
The "Stagecoach" finally got it's shot at service and the results were not what I hoped for. The little things like expecting new radiator hoses were positive in that mine are in great shape even though a technician said the upper was about to burst. The brakes are in excellent shape although I had some concerns there also.

The work being accomplished in the morning is shock replacement followed by exhaust system replacement on Thursday. These were expected items and were planned for. What I did not plan on was the turbo and injection pump needing replacement. The turbo is producing a lousy 9 lbs of boost and I think they said it should be 31 lbs. The injection pump is apparently not working as it should and is affecting the RPM among other things. The total cost for replacing these two items is $4500+.

Although I want to get it done right, I'm sure I can get it done cheaper than what they say. From what I understand, the injection pump can be adjusted instead of replaced, something they don't do. A lot of repair shops replace instead of fix these days. If it can't be adjusted, I'm sure it can be rebuilt.

The turbo can either be rebuilt or replaced. The muffler shop said I should check into having a Banks system installed but I couldn't find an application for a 3208 Cat. I certainly wouldn't mind more performance as long as it doesn't scarifice MPG and longevity.

Any thoughts from the resident experts?

P.S. The nickname for our new Barth is official: "Stagecoach."

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you haven't used a Cat facility, then I'd suggest taking Stagecoach to one before making any decisions (I'm assuming you're at a muffler shop). In any event, the engine should be evaluated by a diesel tech; while diesels are extraordinarily simple and straightforward, only experienced diesel guys should render verdicts.

Injector pumps can usually be rebuilt routinely; there aren't, however, a large number of adjustments to be made (volume and timing are about it). And it may be the injectors, not the IP.

The turbo presents a dilemma, in that one wonders why the boost is so low; this normally would be expected to be the erosion of the turbine (blades) itself, as the impeller operates in the cooler intake. 9 psi at idle isn't unusual, if that's where they measured it.

Like many repairs, rebuilds of both IPs and turbos are not for the unwashed. Perhaps bill g, MWrench, Bill N Y, or others can recommend a mail-order company. In any event, I'd go for the best quality even if it meant sending the units off, rather than depending on a local repair shop. On the "up" side, the IP rebuild might allow use of ULSD without the need for additives.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"The muffler shop said I should check into having a Banks system installed but I couldn't find an application for a 3208 Cat. I certainly wouldn't mind more performance as long as it doesn't scarifice MPG and longevity."

My opinion (you asked!): Cat would supply more performance if it could do so without sacrificing MPG &/or longevity.
Question: Is your muffler shop a Banks Dealer/Installer, by any chance?
I am not a Banks fan, although other Barth posters are.
More cynicism: A faulty turbo could well "affect RPM" (slow to rev?) either by clogging -slowing- exhaust or not giving enough pressure to the chamber; in either or both cases the injector would be blameless. The sailor gives good advice: take it to a real Diesel guy, preferably a Cat shop.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I don't think the muffler shop is a Banks supplier but I would definitely talk with Cat before adding any aftermarket items to make sure they are compatible. Some add-ons might appear to be just the ticket until you look a little closer. There are air filters on the market that promise added horsepower and better fuel economy but they can also damage "down stream" sensors after prolonged use. There are computer chips that boost power for many applications but at what cost?

No, I want this thing to run right and last a very long time. If it has to be a bit expensive to get there, then so be it! But, if I can get it done cheaper than $4500, I certainly want to find a way. Taking it to Wagner is probably the best thing so servicing on this trip will be limited to muffler and shocks.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I am a little suspect with both claims. If the IP is really bad, how can they get a proper boost psi reading.

If they claim that the boost is too low - how can they measure that without a properly performing IP?

What kind of place did you send your coach to? Follow Gunner's and Rusty's advice- get it to a Cat Dealer for a proper diagnosis and do not tell them what others have said about possible problems.

9 psi at an idle doesn't sound too bad - I am on vacation now and cannot look up exact specs.

Another thought - did they check the integrity of the boost system?... How did they pressurize everything? You need to make sure that the boost side can hold psi.

Under a max - no load condition? You need readings "Under a load too" Was it on a dynamometer?

For example: Let's say that your air tanks can hold 120 lbs of pressure - if you have an air leak you can't build to 120psi... same holds true for the boost side of the turbo as well.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Do a little reading up on this thread. If your fuel shutdown solenoid is not allowing the gov to travel to both ends of it's stops then you'll have lower boost psi's too.

Ask Tom Johns of that thread what kind of boost psi's he was getting before the solenoid was changed out.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I will be picking up our "Stagecoach" from Wagner Equipment in a couple of hours. I've never been so happy about spending $700 before now. The local diesel mechanic had told me it was going to cost $4500 + labor to replace the injection pump and turbo. All it needed was adjusting a few things and fixing a stuck valve that would not allow appropriate fuel delivery.

They said the performance increase is substantial and fuel economy (can you use that term when speaking of motorhomes) should increase 2-4 MPG. I got 6.3 on the first tank.

The moral of this story: The value provided by Rusty, Gunner, Bill NY and everyone on this website that responds to my sometimes silly questions, is unbelievable!

It pays to get a 2nd opinion and go to the mechanic with a clue of what is happening and what needs to be done. Barthmobile.com enables me to do just that! My hat is off to you guys. Special thanks to Dave for starting it all and Bill H for his time.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
This evening I realized I had not updated the results of having my Stagecoach worked on after I had a chance to drive it. WOW!

The acceleration has increased significant;y, just as Wagner Equipment said it would. Before the tune-up, it smoked more than I thought it should but, after watching a few big rigs (tractor/trailer) it appeared to be normal. After the work, the smoke ceased except during heavy acceleration.

I must say, prior to this work being done, I enjoyed driving this coach but now it is on a different level. In part because of the increased performance and also due to fixing various nit-noid problems such as doors/drawers opening and closing in turns and learning to load so things didn't rattle. I hate rattles and now this is a really quiet "Custom Coach" going down the road. I look forward to seeing how the fuel economy improved after the work was done; I am confident it will be above 9 MPG although I'm hoping for above 10.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Kewl! And 9 mpg on a 38' coach is amazing! Are you ready to take 'er up to 35 mph, now? (Just kidding...Big Grin)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly hoping for 9 or better, am I being un-realistic? The service center told me I should get 2-4 MPG better than before they worked on it. I was figuring that between lower highway speeds (65-70 vs 75+) and the tune-up, I would probably see the upper end of that estimate (3-4). The only tank I have checked was when I bought it and drove from Phoenix to Colorado Springs, CO. I was running above 70 most of the time, except over the passes and there were a number of those. I got 6.3 on that trip. My father tells me he was getting 9-10+ in their 40' Allegro Bus so I'm hopeful I can do the same. What say you?

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
I'm certainly hoping for 9 or better, am I being un-realistic?
If you get 9 mpg with a 3208 Cat then have your speedometer/odometer checked out... It does sound kind of high for 70 MPH on an automatic... Sorry. Frowner

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I believe the speedometer is reading 32 MPH at 30 MPH according to police radar units sitting in the neighborhoods. I have no idea what that might translate into at highway speeds although other vehicles I've had about the same error at 70 as they did at 30 MPH.

I haven't checked the MPG since the work was completed. Prior to the tune-up, I got 6.3 MPG while running between 74-80 MPH indicated while climbing from 1100' MSL to 6700' MSL including several steep grades. So, with less pressure from my lead foot, running on flatter roads and the dramatic results in performance from the tune-up in mind, what do you all think is realistic for MPG for a 38' Regency with a 300HP Cat 3208TA?

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle