Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof Air Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Air Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I found a unit at my local RV shop that they pulled from a dog grooming trailer. It's 3 years old, and quit working right because of animal hair in the coils. They cleaned it out and it worked perfect but the lady said put in a new one so they have this one available. It's a 13500 that will bolt up and plug in to my ceiling unit, and he's throwing in a new seal gasket and a can of spray cleaner for the coils or something, for 3 bills. Also, it's a low draw unit so it's supposed to run off regular household current with no problems. My warrenty will be it wil work when I get ti hooked up, which is about what we can expect, so what say you?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
13,500 btu vs your old 15,000 btu? What is wrong with your unit?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not sure it is a 15 but it stinks and doesn't blow too cold. I haven't had time to play with it but I'll fire up the genny tomorrow and run it some more. I put the new seal in and cleaned everything but I wasn't happy with it so started looking for a replacement.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Danny, If your old one is a Coleman like mine I am going to need a new fan moter somewhere down the road so don't trash it. My motor is good but the shaft that runs thru it to the 2 fans is getting mighty frail.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
it's a low draw unit so it's supposed to run off regular household current with no problems.

Check the numbers. If it really is a low draw unit, BUY IT!.

That will give you the capability to run off a quiet little Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2400 for AC when you dry camp without making a lot of racket or burning a lot of fuel.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After looking at PPL and Campers World sites I believe the unit is only a 9600, because that's the only one with the fan hole in the top. If that's the case I'm going for a 13,500 from PPL. Sale price 404 plus about 90 bucks shipping, depending on if I can find a commercial drop point.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/p...oner-parts-1.htm#Air Conditioners - Coleman Mach 3

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The new air conditioner shipped out today and should be at Dougs workplace Tuesday. He can put it up top with a forklift, and installing it will be no biggy. This is my second deal with PPL and they both went very well. Doug gets first dibs on the innards of the old unit but the shroud is pretty good and would make a good replacement for one of those we see on the side of the interstate Red Face.

79 Barth Classic

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI. I replaced both of my Coleman Roof 15k BTU A/C units with 2 New Carrier A/C With Heat Pumps.

If you are thinking about installing a new a/c unit, you might want to consider one with a heat pump and save your propane when you are plugged into shore power.

Specs: 115VAC, 12.9 cooling amps, 11.8 heating amps, Nominal Cooling Capacity 15,000 (BTU), Nominal Heating Capacity 11,600 (BTU).

I purchased both units from http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/familyrvrepair/ for $645.05 each (top & bottom complete) plus $89.00 for shipping. If you live in Florida, you can pick it up from him. Very good ebayer and prompt with shipping. Thumbs Up

Seeing that my coach is 100% electric, this was my best option.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Bill, a year ago I would have said that heat is no big deal here in Florida. After last winter, I found out that it can be a real BIG deal! I definitely will be working on the gas heat in my TT before next fall.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The new unit came in today and I got it home. After unboxing it I found a sticker saying it is a 15,000 BTU. Oh well, I'll take it anyways. Everything bolted right up and it cools really nice. Still have to get the old unit off the roof tomorrow and we're ready to head to Nicks for the weekend.

79 Barth Classic