Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    5.9 Cummins Horsepower/Torque?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

5.9 Cummins Horsepower/Torque?
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
When I was Barth-shopping, (before there was a Barthmobile.com) I looked at several Breakaways that were not really Breakaways, and some 4 spd Breakaways that were advertised as 190 hp, only to discover in the original docs that they were 150 or 160 hp. One owner even got a little huffy on the phone when I asked for the engine number, apparently suspecting I wanted verification of the horsepower.

Absent any documentation from the chassis builder or Barth, how does one determine the horsepower and torque? Is there an engine number decoder somewhere?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Absent any documentation from the chassis builder or Barth, how does one determine the horsepower and torque? Is there an engine number decoder somewhere?
When I was at the Barth GTG in Chattanooga I saw a tag around the front grill area that looks like this.

If you can not find this, then Cummins has 2 ways to tell an engine. One is called an ESN or Engine Serial Number. The other is called a CPL or Critical Parts List.

If you can find the ESN tag, it is there too as HP and Torque rating.

Cummins will also allow you to create an online account that will give you this information.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

You can also call 1-800-DIESELS, and they will help you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Cummins has 2 ways to tell an engine. One is called an ESN or Engine Serial Number.
Is that stamped on the block somewhere?
quote:
The other is called a CPL or Critical Parts List.
Is that a piece of paper that would be with the documents?
quote:
Is that a metal tab bolted to the engine somewhere, or what?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cummins has 2 ways to tell an engine. One is called an ESN or Engine Serial Number.
Is that stamped on the block somewhere?
quote:
The other is called a CPL or Critical Parts List.
Is that a piece of paper that would be with the documents?
quote:
Is that a metal tab bolted to the engine somewhere, or what?
On the engine, there is a metal tag that is riveted to the timing gear case. It can be found around the air compressor/injector pump mounting area. This metal tag has both a ESN: Engine Serial Number and a CPL: Critical Parts List.

That tag, that has both of those numbers on it, also has the HP/Torque Rating Stamped on there as well. If for some reason, that tag is missing, the engine serial number is also stamped into the Engine Block.

I know you know this Bill, but for those who don't: Because the engine is mounted in the back of the coach, the front left is relative to you lifting the bed up, and peering into the gaping hole of the engine bay.

At this point... The radiator is at 12 noon and the transmission is at 6 O'clock, the tag should be at the 11 O'clock position and mounted on the "side" just behind/in front of the air compressor. The Injection Pump is mounted to the other side of the air compressor.

Here is a wiki on the 5.9L

Here is a 5.9L tag. I believe it shows 180HP at 2500RPM

This Image Is Rotated 90 degrees for viewing

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
That tag on the front on mine is on the inside of the door for the generator. Tell motor,steering,front and rear axle ,vin# and model with date.Just about all that is in the plate inside.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creepy Cawler:
That tag on the front on mine is on the inside of the door for the generator.
Where is your generator mounted?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
The engine number and hp should be on the Spartan data tag which on our coach is riveted to the wall just below the Barth data tag; found just above the driver's seat and behind the front curtains. Seen it there on every Breakaway I've looked at too.
Also gives the engine serial number and hp.
You can then log into Cummins Quick Serve and enter the esn and you'll get all kinds of info on your engine. There is even a complete online owners/operators handbook. I would encourage all of you who have a Cummins powerplant to take a look at their quickserve site!
And to BillNY, you are a gem! Thanks for posting that link.
Don
quote:

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
You can then log into Cummins Quick Serve and enter the esn and you'll get all kinds of info on your engine. There is even a complete online owners/operators handbook. I would encourage all of you who have a Cummins powerplant to take a look at their quickserve site!

And to BillNY, you are a gem! Thanks for posting that link.
I was waiting for someone to tell me how much they enjoyed that site. Smiler

It is really very forward thinking on Cummins to allow all that info with a couple quick clicks of the mouse.

I believe, this would more likely translate into someone spec'ing a Cummins engine in the future.

Anyway, here is that link again.
quote:
Cummins will also allow you to create an online account that will give you this information.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
My generator is mounted in the front where the radiator would be if it were a puller. The plate like shown here is on the inside of the door and there is a Data Tag also riveted on the wall behind the driver seat by the window covered up with the curtian. If I run the generator while setting still I open the door for more air even though it is water cooled

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
HELLO!

My 1991 breakaway also has it's horsepower and torque ect, info tag riveted inside the front door where my genny is, which is BETWEEN the two front headlights. part of the bus, a door you can open to the genny, which my 5.9 states is 160hp..

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
My 92 Breakaway has the info plate in the same location, on the access door to the propane genny.....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Mine was originally 190hp according to the plate. This is about max for the 542 Allison. Easy to up the HP if desired.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Mine was originally 190hp according to the plate. This is about max for the 542 Allison.

How about the 545?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
542 and 545 are the same transmission. The 542 has a shallower oil pan.

Just looked it up from some old brochures (9/91) and the 545/542 is 235 net input hp.

HP is not the issue as max torque is 445 lb ft and the cummins can hit the very easy. Not sure what the torque of the 190hp is but I think it is close to the 445.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Typically, if it has an Allison MD3060, it will be 230 HP on up

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.