Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cat 3208 vs. Cummins 8.3 Turbo
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cat 3208 vs. Cummins 8.3 Turbo
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted
I folks! We are preparing to purchase a 36' Barth. One of them is a well-loved '89 with a Cat 3208 engine, and the other is a 93 with a Cummins 8.3 Turbo. I assume the Cummins has more horsepower, but being a turbo, probably wouldn't use more gas than the Cat 3208. Am I right? Will we be able to tow a small car with either coach? Is one engine better than the other?

Any hope you can give us to help us make our decision would be great.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Lorelei,

When I bought my Regency, the owner said that the CAT was the standard engine, and that the Cummins was an upgrade. I don't think fuel economy is much different between the engines. The fuel economy will be affected mostly by the weight of the coach and whether you have a four or six speed transmission. The Cummins with an Allison World six speed transmission is the best configuration.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorelei:
I assume the Cummins has more horsepower,

I would be more influenced by torque than horsepower on an RV. Also, which coach has which transmission?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Both engines are very good. Given the age of our chosen marque I would go with the best coach at the best price and not worry about the name on the engine but rather its condition and history.
Transmissions are also important and I would guess the 93 would have a 5 or 6 speed which would be a plus.
We tow a light 2001 4 door Chev Tracker with no problem and it is only a 4 speed Allison.
Good luck
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your perspective. My husband feels we should just try to determine which coach was more "lived in," and hence, more cared for. The 3208 Cat is in a '89 Barth in Florida, and the 8.3 Cummins is in a '93 Barth in Phoenix. Both coaches are 36', and both appear to be in very good shape, with one being a little more worn. Both have under 60K miles and have not been driven for the past year and a half. Now all I have to do is find out which type of transmission they have.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I would bet the '93 is a 6 speed world transmission and the '88 will be a 4 speed. Hopefully the 600 series and not the 500 series in the '88.

Personally I would go with the cummins

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Personally I would go with the cummins
This would be my choice if I were only looking at a drivetrain instead of the coach. The thought of having the 5 or 6 speed with an American Made 8.3L Cummins would be more appealing to me from a mechanical and servicing standpoint.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Same here - if one does one's own work occasionally, there's more room to work an I6 than a V8 - also, I've seen later coaches where the Cummins is on rails, and can roll out for major servicing - but this feature seems to be specific to side-radiator models.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Do all Regencies have side radiators?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they all have side radiators or not but a Regency that doesn't have a Cat, must be a dog! ROTFLMAO

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill
Nope. Ours has the radiator at the front and the engine is on rails.
I guess with a side rad you must depend on the 4 electric fans to push enough air for cooling?
Doesn't sound too good to me!
I have noticed that under some driving conditions and pulling the Tracker the fans do not even come on until we stop.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Do all Regencies have side radiators?

Rusty
Ours is on rails to be able to roll the engine out for service but does not have a side rad. I have only seen one other Cummins powered Regency and it also had the roll out feature. Maybe all Cummins powered ones had the feature??
The 8.3 is not a "throw away" engine so maybe that is why they came with the rails?
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've seen only two (where I crawled underneath to see the engine) one Sovereign and one Monarch, both with side radiators.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I sure wish my 5.9 Cummins were on rails!! Working on the injector pump, air pump, power steering pump isn't the easiest!

Not looking forward to replacing the rear main seal later this year! That 6 speed is BIG and HEAVY!

I would also guess there is another 1-2 MPG if I had a front radiator, that big fan takes a lot of power and has to run all the time, no ram air back there!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Hi Bill
Nope. Ours has the radiator at the front and the engine is on rails.

Oops, I forgot. Wish I had looked closer when you were next door. That seems like the best idea. I wonder why more MHs didn't do it that way. Would you happen to know whether the radiator in front was done by Barth or Spartan?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
On the old brochure from Texas RV the Regency with the Gillig - Cat 3208 was listed as $5,200.00 more than the Spartan - Cummins. See attached below. sky

Barth: Cat or Cummins

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post