Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    diesel fuel additives
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

diesel fuel additives
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
Now that only ULSD is available around here, what are the choices of additives/sulfer replacers do people favour for our old diesels? Or do most just go with straight ULSD?
We will be off to AZ. in a month or so and would like to treat the big Cummins with what is best. She goes in next week for a complete service and check up.
Thanks in advance.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Bill NY gave me the name of an excellent fuel additive. Check with his for the details.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have always been a big fan of FPPF Products.

For the older injection pumps, that are trying to run on the newer fuel, I recommend the LUBRICITY PLUS FUEL POWER Here is the MFG Blurb for this.
quote:
Year Round Diesel Treatment
Lubricity Plus Fuel Power is a high effective formula specifically formulated to provide significant performance benefits in all diesel fuels, including ultra low sulfur diesel and bio-diesel fuel blends.

Lubricity Plus Fuel Power is a year round diesel fuel treatment that combines the benefits of Fuel Power and a lubricity additive that exceeds the A.S.T.M. B.O.C.L.E. standards.

Used regularly, Lubricity Plus Fuel Power can offer the following benefits:

* Contains a high concentration of superior lubricity improver.
* Helps prevent piston fuel pump wear.
* Improves fuel cetane.
* Exceeds HFRR and B.O.C.L.E. Lubricity standards.
* Contains No Alcohols!
* Helps prevent rotary fuel pump wear.
* Improves engine starting.
One 32 oz. Bottle, part #90105 treats 250 gallons.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, do you still recommend this product? Being a 'newbie' to older diesels, trying to get up to date. I've read some more recent posts about 'ashless 2-cycle motor oil from Walmart'.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I have used this stuff for 2 years and I really like it. My toad seems cleaner since I have used it and if you order directly from fppf, you get an excellent case price. Also, 32 ounces of FPPF treats 250 gallons of Diesel fuel so it is very economical.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I pick up FPPF when I'm in Jax; there's no local supplier. I use 2-cycle engine oil, 8oz./30 gal.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Rusty, where do you get FPPF in Jax?

Thanks.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I use Walmart Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Oil. 1 Gallon costs about $12. I use 1/2-1 oz. per gallon.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
WHY??? you can get a good additive that takes out water, fights algae and gets lubrication for $7.99 (FPPF) to $15.99 (Howes) a bottle, that will treat 250 Gallons... and we do get better fuel mileage. Tested in our semi trucks over 16 years and a million plus miles.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the FPPF product Bill mentions above? When I was checking all the testing of additives for balancing out the low sulfer in the diesel fuel quite a while ago, the Walmart oil I mention was the best bang for the buck. Most everything else was quite more expensive as an additive (price per gallon). Maybe the FPPF has come down in price, maybe you can buy it at better price by bulk, maybe it is a new product that wasn't around when I was checking before?

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
Rusty, where do you get FPPF in Jax?

Thanks.

Tom Taylor

I'm not making this up: Taylor Diesel Service, 228-400 N. Myrtle (904) 356-2641

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I have not used this product, but, bought Lucas oil diesel injection cleaner and fuel stabilizer (treats 100 gal, size of our tank) and ran it to Ohio last summer. Was amazed!!! best mileage ever, 11mpg towing an enclosed trailer. I did have soot on the trailer and figured it was normal for a diesel. It does not use oil.

Bill, does this product provide any protection against algae with biodiesel? A friend with an old Mercedes Benz had a huge issue with this last winter. The car was parked for 2 months getting a new transmission and unfortunately, had to get injectors and a tank flush to get it going again.
I have run biodiesel in the Barth several times with no known issues.

Thanks!

Brian and Janet
'93 Regency 36 ft
Cummins 8.3, Allison 6 speed, diesel genset, 100 gal. tank... OUCH$$$
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis

Posts: 10 | Location: Simpleville, South Kakalaki | Member Since: 07-28-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I sometimes think "More Is Better" Can you cause a problem if you miss calculate and add too much?
Any downside? I would like to try the FPPF.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Algae treatment should be done with a product made for that. FPPF does have a product designed for that.

A little more FPPF won't cause a problem but is wasteful in the wallet. You're not getting more by using more. Now, if you use "Way Too Much" then there might be an adverse condition. But, that would be with anything I suppose.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post