Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Disconnect Relay-Twice failed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Disconnect Relay-Twice failed
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Whether it's a single or double really doesn't matter. The way it is wired does. Because the description says...

The Battery Disconnect Relay is a mechanically latching switch that operates by the momentary application of battery voltage to the coil terminals in one direction for latching (closed) or the other direction for unlatching (open).

You would need to either get a window motor switch with the 4 terminals or get a 6 terminal switch and wire it like the diagram.

So get the Latching Relay that Rusty found -
get a proper switch - wire it in like the diagram. You're done!

And the best thing is... we all learned something.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Somewhere, someone on the web, said that the switch reverses polarity to throw the relay the opposite direction; I'm skeptical about that claim

That quote came off of the page that you linked the relay to.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Somewhere, someone on the web, said that the switch reverses polarity to throw the relay the opposite direction; I'm skeptical about that claim

That quote came off of the page that you linked the relay to.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast and I'm supposed to remember that? Smiler

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't remember what I had for breakfast and I'm supposed to remember that? Smiler

You insulted my welder! you didn't think I was going to give you a free pass, did you?

Now if you let my welder slide then I would have held back (right) on posting that. Big Grin

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
OK, Bill, I'll yield on the welder issue, but only because I haven't bought a forklift capable of lifting the thing, and I don't yet know how I'll get it home...besides which, until the power company gets its new generator, I can't run it anyway...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, it is a rocker switch. It is identical to all the rocker switches used throughout the coach for the interior lighting. I physically removed it from the wall today and tested each of the two posts with a test light.

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Try this for the rocker switch

Does this switch look like it will fit in?

A generator start stop switch (without the light) would work. I even think that a boat's outdrive to lift it out of water would work. Those are waterproof and I think they are already reversed so the X pattern jumper wouldn't have to be added.

I edited it this morning when I realized my link last night was pointing to an Austrailian site. It is now pointing to Grainger.com if you order that switch from them find out if they have an electrical harness for it.

You could also try your local auto-parts store. The cole-hersee part number is 58027-11

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
That switch looks twice as wide but the current mounting surface seems to be easily widened with a key hole saw...so it looks like all I need is the switch you display above, the relay, and just follow your wiring diagram ...? I wonder how the original setup ever worked?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
I wonder how the original setup ever worked?

It didn't work. It was only draining your batteries and burning out your relays.

I did see other smaller switches while doing a google search but they really looked like they wouldn't take much amps. If this will fit then put that one in.

quote:
so it looks like all I need is the switch you display above, the relay, and just follow your wiring

That's it. Done...

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm a little confused about your switch diagram...you have a black line and red line cross over one another. Are those two lines representing two wires I will need to install on the switch?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, I'm a little confused about your switch diagram...you have a black line and red line cross over one another. Are those two lines representing two wires I will need to install on the switch?

Yes, by crossing those wires you're making the current flow backwards. If you hit the switch one way the current goes across like it's supposed to. With the X jumper you're reversing the current and sending the hot and grounds to the opposite side.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, My coach is the same as hilarlee's. I have a single small rocker switch that activates the large battery connect relay. It is not a latching type and was never changed, it is the original Barth installation. It also does not get hot just slightly warm.

I will agree, I much prefer a BIG switch to a relay and it will get changed later but for now it is OK.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Hmmmm, My coach is the same as hilarlee's. I have a single small rocker switch that activates the large battery connect relay. It is not a latching type and was never changed, it is the original Barth installation.

Humm, did you buy your coach new?

Think about it like this. By allowing current to pull the coil in you're loosing power for nothing more then a magnetic coil. If your batteries get drained then this is what's doing it. Let's say you have a solar charger. The wasted current going to the solenoid is more than the solar power.

Your batteries aren't getting drained? Then you're always running your generator, coach or you're plugged in when at home.

If you want to see a drain (power draw) leave the switch on and unplug the coach from the house. Post back here in a few days.

I think you would find them run down or dead so don't do it. Seeing that you're going to the big switch then this wont be a problem too much longer anyway.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I will measure the current drain thru the on/off switch and report back. That should represent the relay holding current.

No I didn't buy the coach new but the wiring diagram that I have clearly shows a on/off switch arrangement and not a latching system.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
When hooking up the wires an acceptable plug may not be available. If this is the case you should use a "Fully Insulated Female Blade Plug" like what is pictured on the right

make up 4 wires about 3 inches long and install 4 of these terminal ends - 1 on each wire - strip all of the other ends back.

Take two of the 4 wires and place next to each other and twist the stripped wire ends together. Repeat with the other two loose ones. You should now have two sets of these wires shaped in a "V" pattern.

Use these as your jumper wires and attach these "v" shaped wires with a yellow heat shrink butt connector to the wires that run down to the solenoid.

The two wires that go down to the solenoid gets stripped down farther. Because your using a larger diameter heat shrink for this your going to strip the wiring down farther and bend it over before placing it in and crimping the yellow butt connector or you could use a larger diameter wire. Heat to seal.

You will now have in your hands two sets of wires that look like a "Y"

Like in the DPDT Switch diagram hook each set up in an X pattern taking the upper right terminal and the lower left terminal and plug it in to the harness you just made. Repeat the process using the lower right and upper left terminals.

The last thing to do is hook up your hot wire and ground wire to either one of the center pins (doesn't matter which) using the fully insultated female blade plug and your done.

Test before mounting the switch into the housing. Zip tie loose wires.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Ed, I need to correct my earlier statement regarding the relay temperature. The "White Rodger" units were always "warm" to the touch.At one point I installed a lower rated relay and it was hot to the touch. I almost never turned the power off in my coach but would "Plug in"when I returned home from a trip. When I finally did turn the switch off and back on, the relay failed. Once it failed just an hour before I was leaving for Yosemite. I ordered a new switch from Grainger and am placing an order for the relay so this never happens again. Plus, I agree with Bill and Rusty that leaving power "ON" 24x7 is not healthy for the overall electrical system.

Larry and Heidi from CA