Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tag weight
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tag weight
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
I was also wondering if a person should treat these with something (especially over the winter) to keep them more pliable.

I use Goodrich Age Master

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks bill, see if I can pick some up today or order it.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm hmm Wonder which would be the better fit 038 or065?
Here are the specs for each.

I guess you'll need to measure them to see. I couldn't find a spec sheet for the 1R9-025.

My initial guess would be the longer one would probably be better 1R9-038. On the other hand, because of the lower air psi, the 1R9-065 might be the better play here because it has an internal bumper. Hmmm hmm

Dilemma: Do we tear the bag apart because it doesn't have enough travel or do we break the base plate because of a lack of a bumper?

We would really need to get the specs for a 1R9-025, or pull a bag off and measure it, to know for sure. Does the 1R9-025 have a bumper in it?
quote:
Thanks Bill NY, Haven't heard back from the Goodyear people yet...
Ask for a spec sheet on the bag. See if you can shoot them an email and give them this link code so it'll take them right here.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/3343928457?r=1283998457#1283998457

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here is a better explanation on the airbags.

1) Mounting Stud - Manufactured as a permanent part of the bead plate assembly for maximum strength and durability. Used to attach the spring to the vehicle’s suspension.

2) Combination Stud and Internal Pipe Fitting - Serves the dual purpose of mounting the airspring to the suspension or frame and providing an entrance for air.

3) Bead Plate Assembly - Crimped onto the "air Bag" at the factory.

4) Bellows/Air Bag - The "air bag" includes four plies of material: an inner layer, two plies of cord-reinforced fabric, and an outer cover. Natural rubber construction provides functional properties to –65F.

5) Bumper - A solid rubber or engineered plastic device designed to prevent damage to the vehicle and bellows or suspension pieces in the event of a sudden loss of air pressure in the bag.

6) Piston - Provides a lower mounting arrangement for the air spring. Controls the characteristics of the spring under changing pressure loads.

7) Piston Bolt - Attaches the piston to the bellows. Sometimes extended as a means of attaching the spring to the vehicle suspension.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill NY... as you mentioned going strictly on psi I am thinking the 065. I will call Goodyear Mon AM and give them the link and request info on the 025.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, where else can you get this kind of expert advise, help and information other than Barthmobile!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Here are some measurements from a while back when I was underneath.

The installed deflated and collapsed height is 3.625”. With the swingarm hanging on the fully extended shocks, the distance between the top and bottom plates is 11.5” front and 14.875 rear. The readings are different because the top and bottom plates are parallel only when the suspension is completely collapsed. At the fully extended suspension measurement, the bags are not fully extended, compared to the picture in the Firestone guide.

They normally sit at 8 1/2 inches between plates when measured on the center, as seen from the side.

The top plate has 2 holes 3 3/8” apart, and one of them is hollow for an air connection. The bottom plate has one 1/2” stud, but it would be easy to use a two-hole bottom mount like some Firestones use.

The Firestone W01-358-5406 seems about the same. $132 delivered.

Here is a link to the Firestone catalog.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I called the Goodyear engineering dept today and sent them the link we discussed. They emailed me back with the following:

"Gerald, Here is the information you needed. Although we don't have a actual drawing here is the recommendation of our air spring engineering dept below:

I would recommend the 1R9-065. It better matches the 1R9-025 for performance and also has an internal bumper like the 1R9-025, which the 1R9-038 does not."

Thank you,

Amy Fletcher
Goodyear Engineered Products
Manufactured and Marketed exclusively by Veyance Technologies, Inc.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB