Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Construction Project
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Construction Project
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/10
Picture of Richard &  Lee
posted
Hi,

I have an 84 Euro Glassnose with an overhead pull down bunk. I am planning to use it for a project. What is the construction of the bed under the vinyl, steel or wood? Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Posts: 25 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Member Since: 07-12-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
I would also like to know how and where the bed mechanism attaches to the framing. I have a gaucho bed from another SOB that I would like to install in ours.

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I can't answer directly to the EURO but I'll tell you about my overhead bed installation.

My coach has a frame that surrounds the side windows. This frame connects to the structure for the roofline bend with vertical supports (see picture below with red lines drawn in). I cut up 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood and made a mounting plate to sandwich between my bed frame brackets and my aluminum vertical supports.

I then mounted all of this above each window.

~ 3/4 plywood first securely mounted to every vertical post with lag bolts and oversized and thick fender washers.
~ Bed support brackets over the wood mounted with large/fat screws in all of the holes. This covered up my lag bolts.
~ Each area where a vertical support was present, and a hole lined up in the frame of the bed support brackets, I used an additional lag bolt in the hole and a small washer.

You'll notice the pencil marks. This is where my vertical supports are located. I also have an additional vertical support where the break is in the wall material. I was able to grab 3 vertical supports for each side. Also, where each piece of plywood is mounted, I cut the wall material out to make sure my plywood had no give with being mounted through the wall material.

Once I had the frame securely mounted I then worked on making a platform for the mattress. For this I used 1" square aluminum. I made a frame out of this material and sandwiched a piece of Dry Eraser board to the bottom and luan to the top. This now supports a regular twin size mattress.

I used a piece of aluminum carpet runner to give a clean edge and made up a front and back piece of wood that was wrapped in vinyl. I also installed grab handles on the ceiling.

Once I painted the walls and trimmed out the bed support frame it looks a lot nicer.

Additional notes: On my coach, looking from the outside, everyplace there is a vertical support behind the wall, you'll see rivets on the outside of the coach. My bed support brackets came out of an Allegro from a salvage yard.

Going by memory, this is what the frame looked like around the passengers front side. I had my interior wall off and I also had this window out.

Here is a good interior shot of a roof line and vertical/horizontal supports. Notice that some of the vertical supports are doubled up?

Here are some additional images Lee sent me of his Barth Coach with a bed frame over the cockpit area.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Lee, those pictures are going to be very helpful when I get around to project #101 (gaucho bed).

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post