Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What we discovered under the carpet.
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What we discovered under the carpet.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted

Guess what we found when we took up all the carpet in the Barth?
It appears to be and an electrified grid (12V??) The two wires that can be seen exiting next to the couch disappear into the massive wiring loom under the couch. The metal grid is encased in heavy clear plastic and is just duct taped to the plywood subfloor. that sub floor is 1-1/2" thick! Directly beneath the floor between the frame rails is the fuel tank.
The plan was/is to lay Allure Ultra vinyl flooring over the subfloor. Not sure what to do about this and have no idea what it's purpose is.
Looking forward to an expanation.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
That is a Cootie Catcher. Everybody knows that Cooties are negatively charged. That catcher is a positive charge. That way it attracts all the Cooties in your Barth. Be sure to empty it at least once a year. When the Cootie Catcher breaks down, it ain't a pretty sight. Big Grin

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess what we found when we took up all the carpet in the Barth?
It appears to be and an electrified grid (12V??) n

Don I would say floor heat. Radiant heat is a great way to heat but with 12 volt I would think a huge drain? That is my guess but where is the switch?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1386 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
1) Have you ever seen a magnet on a fuel line? This is an electrified magnet for the fuel tank.

2) It was original made by Nikola Tesla and hasn't been seen since the days of the Philadelphia Experiment.

3) An ultra thin bass speaker.

My real guess is it's a big floor heater for a spoiled dog. After that, I'm out. hmm

I'm glad you've shared this and would really like to know what it is too. Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Don
Looks like Bill agrees with me on my best guess. I would hook it to a 12 volt battery and see what happens. If it beams you to the mother ship I was wrong. If it generates heat I was right.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1386 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it is some kind of antenna. Who previously owned your Barth? If it was CIA then it's definitely an antenna.

Seriously, was your Barth always an RV, or did it start life as something else?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine not feeling this when you're walking on it. hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A heating pad is one possibility, but two oddities make me think otherwise:

1. The wiring pattern is very unusual for a heat pad, and there's no reflective/insulating surface underneath, and

2. The supply wires appear to be too small for a 12VDC resistive heater; I would hope that no one would install a 120VAC device exposed like this.

My WAG is that this is a strangely-located pressure pad (trigger) for a security system.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
It is a pressure pad for your alarm system if you still have one. It's creates a closure when stepped on. I had one in mine. If you are not using your alarm, no worries just rip it out. If you are using an alarm chances are it has been disconnected already or you would know about it.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a pressure pad for your alarm system

Why is this alarm positioned only in front of the sofa? you might ask. Well, very old demented Granny slept on the sofa and it was to let the guardians know when she got up in the middle of the night.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the replies! Actually I was expecting some of them!
I was guessing a foot warmer too or, in Rusty's case, a dog warmer.
No Bill, you wouldn't know it was there due to the thick carpeting and underpad.
The coach has a Nobi alarm system with contacts on all exterior compartments, the entry door, and panic buttons under the drop down kitchen counter extension, and in the bedroom. Never thought of that though.
BTW. I know why Barth eventually went bankrupt. They spent all their money on bloody staples to hold down the carpet!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
WHOA! Not so fast guys. I found the same thing in my 1984 Regal Royal. There was one at the same place in front of the sofa and also back in my hallway outside the bathroom (in front of the wardrobe). I thought the previous owner had installed them to keep feet warm while sitting on sofa and to warm the floor outside the bath while dressing. Mine were also wired into a large wire loom and I couldn't figure out how you turned them on.

Now it looks like it might have been a factory item.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
My WAG is that this is a strangely-located pressure pad (trigger) for a security system.
I agree, I think it probably is a pressure pad for a floor contact sensor.

The wires for a floor heater would be much larger than those.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Put an ohmmeter across the wires and step on the pad.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup! Definitely was installed at the factory, this carpet is the original.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
WHOA! Not so fast guys. I found the same thing in my 1984 Regal Royal. There was one at the same place in front of the sofa and also back in my hallway outside the bathroom (in front of the wardrobe). I thought the previous owner had installed them to keep feet warm while sitting on sofa and to warm the floor outside the bath while dressing. Mine were also wired into a large wire loom and I couldn't figure out how you turned them on.

Now it looks like it might have been a factory item.

K&E

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643