Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Upgrading from 4spd to 6 spd-Engine Upgrades-Diesel
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Upgrading from 4spd to 6 spd-Engine Upgrades-Diesel
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Pacific Torque might have some answers.

http://www.pacifictorque.com/aonht.html

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, these guys look experienced. Wish they had a branch in CA. I'll send an e-mail request and let you guys know what they say..

You know I have R&R'd engines, rebuilt them, done many different clutch jobs on a variety of vehicles and feel I have a reasonable apttitude...is this something I should attempt or leave for the experts? I don't have much if any experience with diesels or transmissions

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Larry, if you have mechanical experience as you mention, changing out a trans shouldn't present that much of a challenge, The Allison MD3060 is very BIG and REALLY heavy, but the area around the trans is farly open. I think the biggest challenge for you would be the electrical, as I mentioned before, the trans cable is very large and the controller depends on signals from the engine. The throttle position sensor is another issue that would have to be addressed because this varies from engine to engine and application to application. I believe that my Barth is the first year that they used the MD3060 and the throttle position sensor is a real cobbled up mess. A couple of experienced Allison mechanics have commented on that and they have mentioned that is is common for that to be seen on the first year or so of the use of the MD3060. Better brackets and linkage were used in later years.

Have you verified what ratio diff you have? It should be listed on a tag or name plate on the housing.

If I may help with this change over let me know. Things have settled abit for me and all I have to do now is finish the LS6 engine installation in my BMW M6.

I have a trip planned to So CA sometime in December/January and will plan to stop by.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed, got the engine serial number over the weekend but forgot the info at home..I'll have to look for that plate on the trans too. Leaving on a trip to the desert tomorrow night so I'll get back to you on this. Look forward to seeing you next month!

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I am following this thread with a great deal of interest as I plan on installing a 3060 in our brakeaway.

I have quotes of $4500 for a used transmission with all the parts needed to make the conversion.

The only unkown is the parking brake. I currently have one attached to the drive train and it appears I need to keep the arangement. I might luck out and get a transmission with one already on it.

The 3060 is about 1-2" longer than the 542. This makes for an interesting drive shaft which is already just slightly over 1"

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spring operated parking brake and emergency brake is on a drum at the back of the MD3060 in my Breakaway. If anyone wants I can measure anything and take pictures for your future reference.

I think you will find that the MD3060 is also lower then the other transmissions, Mine seems to "hang down" which is normal because of the 4 inch sump pan.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted a copy of the MD3060 transmission data sheet for those who are interested.

Allison Brochure

Will post pictures of the installation in my Barth tomorrow.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I'd like the 6 speed in mine also, just have a hard time with running 2500 on the tach so much. Have wondered about a gear vendor ,any body know anything about them? Also thought of ratio or bigger tires but tires would make it set higher and then I would garage door problems

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Probably should have started a new thread, but does anyone know the rear end ratio. The best I have come up with is 3.73. That assumes 65 mph at 2500 rpm and 8R19.5 tires at 619 revs per mile.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Breakaway it is 4.11 but with the 6 speed Allison that has a 0.65:1 overdrive in 6th. At 60 MPH in 4th (1:1) I run 2550 +/- RPM, I hit top of the governor just shy of 65 in 4th. In 6th I am at 60 MPH at about 1650 RPM. Tires are rated for 75 MPH max so that is where I draw the limit, I am still accelerating at 75 (in 6th) if I keep my foot in it.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm totally with MWrench here. Any diesel engine shuld be happiest at the RPM which put it a bit ahead of the torque curve. Because the Cummins is a long-stroke engine, max torque is at a much lower speed than the GM 6.5 TD in mine, a short-stroke diesel which hits max torque at around 2350 RPM. Mine runs 2450 RPM at 60 mph; the Cummins should be run at a much lower RPM, because it's designed to do so. It sounds like the Cummins is redlined at around 2700RPM. My 6.5 GM redlines at 4000.

If the transmission swap isn't practical, I'd surely look at changing the differential gear ratio down a notch. I just don't think that the final drive ratios were chosen as wisely as they could have been for the Cummins/Allison drivetrain, based on Ed's experience. OTOH, the diffy ratio for Barths with the Cummins and 4-speed Allison may have a taller rear end ratio than the 5- or 6-speed...but your experience would indicate they weren't.

So, Creepy, I think you have a very valid issue - it's fine for my GM 6.5L TD to run at 2500 RPM at cruise - it's supposed to. The Cummins should run at a much lower RPM, maybe in the 1800-1900 RPM range (a WAG on my part).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I'm going to get under and look at the tag on the rearend and see just what the ratio is. I was looking at some of the electric diagrams that came with my coach and I see that they must have even offered 2 speed rears,(that takes me back a long way) The last one of thowe a had was in a 1962 HI V-225 with a 549 cu. V-8. About 2 million miles back!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I looked at the tag on the rearend housing and couldn't find any numbers that look like a gear ratio. Looked at the book and it looks like you have to call Spartan with the numbers on the code tag and get the ratio.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Or jack up one side and count the ratio.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Or jack up one side and count the ratio.
To count the rear end ratio do the following:
  • Jack up 1 wheel, mark the wheel and the driveshaft.

• Turn the raised wheel exactly 2 full revolutions.

• The number of times the driveshaft turns will equal the rear axle ratio.

Common sense would dictates that the transmission be placed in neutral, the brakes released and the vehicle secured from rolling!

So, you turned the tire two full revolutions...

...if the driveshaft turned 4.25 revolutions your rear is a 4.25
    ...if the driveshaft turned 3.75 revolutions your rear is a 3.75

You will not be able to tell the difference between a 4.11 and a 4.10 ratio. You will be able to tell the difference between a 3.70 something and a 3.90 something. Rear ends sizes are all over the chart.

If I had a choice on a size and it was my money I would choose something that ended in an odd number. I know that sounded weird. (Insert other opinions here) Stop laughing and read some more.

It's the difference between a "homing" (even number) and a "non-homing" (odd number) gear set. I have found that a set of gears that does not "home" tends to be "just a little bit" quieter and "might even" last a little longer.

If the rear end is an even number then the pinion and the ring gears will always wear in the same pattern each time the ring gear goes around. The odd ratio takes two full turns of the ring gear before it will repeat the pattern and every tooth will mesh on both the ring and pinion.

Upon teardown and rebuild of many truck rears I have found that the "non-homing" gear sets have a more even wear pattern. The "homing" sets will have the same wear marks in the same areas.

(Shields up) This is an opinion only! I have rebuilt all truck rears/ratios. I expect criticism, damnation, and laughs for this statement, so fire away. Big Grin

•Some rear axle ratio sizes•
    3.54, 3.55, 3.57, 3.62, 3.67, 3.68, 3.70, 3.73, 3.74, 3.89, 3.90, 3.91, 3.94, 4.05, 4.10, 4.11, 4.18, 4.19, 4.22, 4.25, 4.31, 4.33

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
  •  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post