Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wipers arms
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wipers arms
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Does anyone know where to get new winshield wiper arms or the assembly with the arms? The motors are good but the bearings on both arms are shot, the stabilizing arms are also bad so I would like to replace the entire arm assembly on both sides.

Thanks for any help

wiper blades, linkages and motors

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I don't know if this is Breakaway caliber stuff or not, but tons of p-30 & other wiper parts are at:

http://www.rustrepair.com/stepvan_parts/onlinecat.htm?r=wi&p=wi-wiper

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
The wiper arms on my 1973 were replaced some time back and price was clearly the determining motovation.

I found a wide assortment of wiper arms and blades listed for power boats at http://www.defender.com/ Defender marine.

I do not know if they will fit our rigs but if you find out please let me know.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
...not intending to change the subject, but on the same matter of "wiper arms" ...my air-driven wipers seem to work fine, appearing that the air-lines were probably recently replaced.

My left wiper "slaps" while operating at rapid speeds, against the furtherest left, verticle edge of the windshield. What might-be the adjustment to quelm this problem???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
My left wiper "slaps" while operating at rapid speeds, against the furtherest left, verticle edge of the windshield. What might-be the adjustment to quelm this problem???

Is it going off of the windshield and the arm touching the glass and the park area is not bottoming out? That would be and adjustment of removing the arm and resetting it lower on the shaft.

There is a adjustment on the switch you can make. Looking at the backside you will see a jam nut. Back off the 5/16 jam nut three turns, tighten the screw (needle valve) till it just bottoms out. Not to hard. Lightly bottom it out.

Back out the needle valve 1 full turn and then hold screw in place. Tighten down the jam nut. Turn on and check. The speed is 120 strokes per minute at fast with the windshield wet. So back and forth is two strokes.

You can adjust this: In slows it down - Out makes it go faster.

The air operated motor looks like a rack and pinion if you ever take it apart. Air goes back and forth on both sides of a single piston (rack) and the center shaft just has a gear (pinion) that sits on the rack.

To change the "arc of the wipe" you would need to remove the 4 screw that hold the front cover on and the 4 screws that hold the top cover for the (pinion) center shaft down. After removing top cover keep an eye out for the timing. This step is important. By lifting the center pinion shaft up and moving it one tooth over right or left it will give you a larger or smaller wipe area.

What it winds up being is about 10 degree more or less arc wipe for each tooth off center. from a low of about 30 degrees to a high of about 110 degree arc wipe.

You would only mess with the arc wipe if you want more or less windshield stroke. The other thing to keep in mind on any wiper arm is the actual windshield tension. If you have a weak wiper arm tension then the arm has little resistance and it will still flap around.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post