Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    What should I do with the engine cover? Planning on new floor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What should I do with the engine cover? Planning on new floor
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted
I'm trying to plan what I want to do with the interior of my 84 Barth Regal. I know that I want to get the chairs and the sofa reupholstered. I also want to replace the floor with some type of laminate floor, but I'm not sure what to do with the engine cover.

What does everyone else do when they put in the laminate flooring? Just carpet the front drivers/passengers area along with the engine cover?

Lets see some pictures and hear some ideas!

Take Care
-Curtis

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Curtis,

We just had this discussion a couple of month's ago (Jeff and myself). We put new flooring in the rest of the coach. And my idea is that we re-carpet the driving area, to help quiet the engine sounds. Right now it can get pretty loud when the engine fan kicks on...which forces me to yell when nagging at Jeff. Needless to say after about 100 miles I am just really wore out and sometimes need a nap.

Not sure just yet how it will turn out, but I am confident Jeff will want to re-carpet. Big Grin

Joy

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I recarpeted, I used a marine soundproofing board to line the inside and outside of the doghouse cover. It's a foil covered very dense about 3/4 inch thick material. I glued it and stapled with tin tabs to make sure, then taped all the seams with Barth tape, then covered with carpet. I used a weatherstrip where the cover meets the doghouse, and replaced the piano hinge with 4 rubber tie-downs, 2 front, 2 back, so the whole cover comes off easily for working on the engine. It's extremely quiet now compared to before, and you can barely hear the fan clutch kick in any more. Also, no fumes and no heat escaping to the interior.

This pic was taken before the tie downs were installed.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
then taped all the seams with Barth tape

What is Barth tape? I've never heard of such a thing before.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
and replaced the piano hinge with 4 rubber tie-downs, 2 front, 2 back, so the whole cover comes off easily for working on the engine.

This is an excellent idea. I might just do this when redoing mine.

As far as the rest of the carpet goes, how did you do the edges? Did you just use like a spray adhesive and glue the carpet down, or did you use a tack strip?

Is there any reason not to use a household type carpet and use an RV/automotive carpet instead? Are there any differences between the two?

Looks great. I'd be interested in seeing a finished picture with the sofa and rubber tie-downs if you have one available.

Thanks Danny Z!

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I took the engine cover off and rolled the outer edges around to make a template on the backside of the carpet. I have "No Seams" and a wooden top on mine. You could even cut a laminate top and use that with carpeting on the sides.

That piece of carpeting looked like a smile before i glued it on.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I have "No Seams" and a wooden top on mine. You could even cut a laminate top and use that with carpeting on the sides.

I really like the look of "no seams". I will definitely do that when I get around to it.

I like the diamond plate!

Lets see some more pictures!

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis H.:
Lets see some more pictures!
It is your post... Big Grin

I also installed a pull down bed. Here you see a little more diamond plating and track lighting.

More diamond plating on the lower part of the side door. Below the "Floor Height".

Here is the interior dressed up with wooden molding and half sheets of paneling.

Click on "The Story" in my signature profile for some before and after pics...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Looks great Bill! I've actually read your story and many other stories as well as about every thread on this forum a number of times!

I'm looking for all the inspiration/ideas I can for when the time comes for me to tackle these projects!