Tools
Reply To This Topic

Brazillian Mahagony
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Anyone know wood prices of brazillian mahagony wall panelling? My aunt has a room about 20/25' x 15' x 12'.You figure the sq footage. How might I find it's worth?

Tere

Already checked ebay & craigslist & wikipedia.

This was installed in the early 60s

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know if it is Brazilian mahogony, but I priced out 1/4" Mahogony ply for the Barth last year at $62.00 a 4x8 sheet. This will cover the walls but not finish them. So if the room is 22.5' by 15' and has 12' ceiling height, you would have 900 sq. ft. in walls, and 900 sq. ft. in ceiling. That totals 1237.5 sq ft. divide that by 32 sq. ft. per sheet and you would need 39 sheets if every cut was perfect(impossible). Thats $2,418.00 in base wood without framing it off, and before Uncle Sam gets his cut. By the time you furnish labor (2 guys x $25.00 an hour by Lord knows how long a period of time,... and then buy the trim and Trim it out,...then buy stain and stain it... then buy clear and clear it..I would say $15,000 conservatively) I have a buddy that hired some finish carpenters to do this kind of work out of oak in a hockey players house and it took them "weeks" to finish it. If that was the case, it would be over $20,000 easy. Nothing looks cooler than that stuff but it sure does not come cheap.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was installed in the early 60s

Tere,
Are you asking the worth of the wood if stripped out of the room for resale?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yes, she is (says Jim). This is actually 3/4" solid tongue and groove Brazilian mahogany. The aunt is going to a retirement home and I get the pleasure of having an estate sale for her stuff, and then getting the house ready to rent. (will eventually sell it when the market is ok). In this area, houses like hers are bought and torn down to make way for bigger/better etc. We're thinking this stuff is worth more than a wrecking ball or renters for that matter.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You need to find a dealer in used lumber, and/or exotic hardwoods, & get a bid, or several. There are several similar woods called mahogany that are not true mahogany, and it takes an expert to determine which is which, and it's market value.

Any solid South American hardwood that old should be like gold. Most of it has been cut long since, & most nations now restrict cutting & export of it.

Honduras mahogany, the only true mahogany was the gold standard in boat building, & any one who has worked with it understands why. Besides its beauty, it is a wonderful wood to work.

According to my local supplier of exotic woods, Honduras is sometimes available, at $7.60 to $9.00 per board foot. He says "Brazilian," mahogany of that age is probably actually Honduras because much of it came from Brazil.

At $9.00/bf for new wood, that paneling, if in good condition ought to be worth at least half to a wholesaler, but that's an uneducated opinion.

At 20' x 15' x 12', if it is 1" nominal stock, planed to 3/4", you're looking at 3600 bf, a fair chunk of cash.

Get an expert. Get several experts. Get several bids.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I buy from these folks: http://www.houstonhardwoods.co...d_moulding_about.php
who specialize in hardwoods. They may buy, refer you or at least be able to give you some idea of value. If they are 3/4" solid they would be appropriate for exotic flooring as well.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Interesting to read that...The family room in our home I grew up in was added on in 1965. It was about 15x30x12 and completely paneled in "mahogany". I remember adding a plug one time and the paneling was about 1/2" thick and it was solid not a veneer. Even the baseboards, the door trim and the doors were mahogany to match. I remember Dad and Mom treated the mahogany with a real "reverence"....I guess it was quite expensive.

A friend of mine, his parents paneled their den in 1960 with "Pecky cyprus". I remember him relating how incredibly expensive it was at the time...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You also need to take into consideration the cost and extent of refinishing once the paneling is gone. How is it attached, were the surfaces finished prior to installation, what about receptacles, etc??

Once you seem pretty sure of the value, I would put a few free ads in Craigslist to see if there is a remodeler who might take it down and do the refinishing work all in one deal.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I finished a basement in 1965, & solicited advice on paneling. What was called mahogany then was typically "Philippine" mahogany, i.e, luan. Rosewood veneer was the most expensive; beautiful, but above my pay grade. I settled for pre-finished birch veneer.

I used a lot of dimension luan refurbishing a couple older Honduras boats in later years, but it was harder to work, & never finished as well as the real thing.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Find a local chapter of the ACBS, Antique and Classic Boat Society. It is nearly impossible to get matching quality mahogany of that period. You might find good help both in pricing and moving the wood.
Good luck,

Posts: 1086 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post