Forums    General Discussions    Operator's manual (or whatever it's called) for my Barth questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Operator's manual (or whatever it's called) for my Barth questions
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have what I think is all of the manuals for my '84. However, a couple of questions remain unanswered. I know for instance, that this unit evidently has two fresh water tanks...one that can be filled up with a hose, and the other when I'm hooked up via the hose...and that if I press the "water fill" switch on the control panel, it fills up that second water tank. First question: After both tanks are full, and I am dry camping later on, does it equally draw water from both tanks? Second question: under the sink there are drain valves when winterizing the unit. Are those the only drain valves on the unit?

This motorhome has had numerous owners over the years and I'm attempting to trace down all of the "homemade" wiring/jumping/clobbering up jobs in the electrical system. In a past life it has had a Holley 780 double pumper hooked up to the 454, along with Hedman headers and 3" stainless dual exhaust systems installed. It's an absolute pleasure to drive down the road. In fact, I catch myself having to let up on the gas pedal when I catch myself exceeding the speed limit Smiler

Also, another head scratcher. For the life of me I cannot find where to put windshield washer fluid in.

On the positive side, under one of the beds I found a 30 gallon tank of R12 Smiler

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dave
Laramie, WY

Posts: 20 | Location: Laramie, WY | Member Since: 07-13-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave In Wyoming:
I have what I think is all of the manuals for my '84. However, a couple of questions remain unanswered. I know for instance, that this unit evidently has two fresh water tanks...one that can be filled up with a hose, and the other when I'm hooked up via the hose...and that if I press the "water fill" switch on the control panel, it fills up that second water tank. First question: After both tanks are full, and I am dry camping later on, does it equally draw water from both tanks?

My 84 gasser has one tank. It can be filled by gravity or by pressure. When you hook up the garden hose to the screw in fill port, the faucets and shower are pressurized. When you actuate the fill switch, an electric fill valve opens, and city water flows into the tank. When the tank is full, a buzzer sounds, and water overflows under the coach through an overflow hose. It is not uncommon for the fill valves to stick closed if left to sit with hard water. Vinegar can usually clear them.

quote:
Second question: under the sink there are drain valves when winterizing the unit. Are those the only drain valves on the unit?

Probably not. There are likely to be drain valves at all the low points in the plumbing system. Particularly near the pump and tank.

quote:
In a past life it has had a Holley 780 double pumper hooked up to the 454, along with Hedman headers and 3" stainless dual exhaust systems installed. It's an absolute pleasure to drive down the road. In fact, I catch myself having to let up on the gas pedal when I catch myself exceeding the speed limit Smiler

Sounds like a hot rodder owned it. Be very alert for heat-shrunk bowl and metering block gaskets and the resultant fuel leaks on a Holley in a hot doghouse. Fire hazard. Double pumpers are good for racers and hot rods, but a vacuum secondary would be better for a motor home. A 3310 is a decent Holley for an RV.

Are the cam and intake manifold stock? Is there an aluminum adapter between the Holley and the manifold? A vacuum secondary works better than a double pumper with stock cam and intake. Actually, a vacuum secondary is better with a Performer manifold and cam, as well.

While I'm being a poop, 3 inch is a little big for RV or tow vehicle revs. 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 is about right. John Geraghty (who walks on water) dyno-ed a whole bunch and said 2 1/4 is best for a 454. I use 2 1/2 on my 502. How far back do the header tubes go? How long are the collectors?

quote:

On the positive side, under one of the beds I found a 30 gallon tank of R12 Smiler

Laramie, WY

Wow! That's a find. Long time ago I heard a story about someone who bought a Barth and found a hidden safe with some really valuable stuff in it. Money, jewels, I don't remember.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The windshield washer reservoir is on the passenger side in front of the engine. Open the grille and look to the left near the radio antenna.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. As I said, this motorhome has probably been through a few owners, many of which treated it right. The washer fluid on this one is right behind the front bumper nearly center of the vehicle. I'm going to make it a winter project to find out where all of the wires (both hooked up and unhooked) go to. As far as the engine goes, it runs perfectly, and I'll have my mechanic check on the carb setup. As far as cam, intake manifold, aluminum carb adapter, header tube length and collectors go...well, I leave that up to people that know that sort of thing. I'll throw money at my mechanic and see if he can answer those questions.

Still looking for any explanation regarding dry camping with this unit (that has two fresh water tanks). Just wondering if they draw off evenly or does one switch when one goes dry. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over that one.

Now if I can just figure out what to do with that full tank of R12.... Smiler

Posts: 20 | Location: Laramie, WY | Member Since: 07-13-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave In Wyoming:

Still looking for any explanation regarding dry camping with this unit (that has two fresh water tanks). Just wondering if they draw off evenly or does one switch when one goes dry. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over that one.

It is likely that the two tanks have a balance tube between them so they go down together. If not, the pump would suck air from whichever tank ran empty first.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post