Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power Searching Craigslist
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted
I don't know if any of you have used this website but it has been great for looking at listings on craigslist in multiple cities.

It's crazedlist.org. There are a few catches involved however. First it only works with the Firefox browser. Second is you have to do some modifying to some settings. The website explains it all.

Another thing is craigslist doesn't approve of these search tools. I don't understand why unless it put more stress on their servers. The website explains everything quite well.

Here are a few listings I found today doing a search in the midwest.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/rvs/1802309991.html
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/rvs/1808077338.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.../rvs/1776370670.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.../rvs/1745220255.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvs/1799498283.html

Does anyone know of other such search tools for craigslist?

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
With CrazedList, what other tools do you need? Wink Yep I've used it for a couple years now, comes in very handy especially since many smaller areas are starting to establish their own Craigslist sites. I can search the entire state of Illinois in one step now, instead of checking 6 different CG's.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know of other such search tools for craigslist?

I use Search Tempest (formerly Craig s Little Helper). You set a zip code and the miles away from that zip and it searches any relevant CL listing. I will also do EBay at the same time if you prefer.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
posted Hide Post
I use www.allofcraigs.com with good results.

Posts: 39 | Location: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 09-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use www.allofcraigs.com with good results.

Just tried this and I like the universal results. Looks like it prioritizes by price. About half of my search for 1993 VW Cabriolet" were deleted ads, but even that is good information.

On a similar vein, EBay has changed it's search logic to try and "help"...which doesn't help. If I type in VW Cabriolet, for instance, it searches Cabriolet, Cabrio, Convertible, etc. The result is thousands of hits to weed through (not good). If you use the Advanced Search feature, it can be told to search for only those exact words. Saves me a lot of time!

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
On a similar vein, EBay has changed it's search logic to try and "help"...which doesn't help.

I agree, I don't like it either. I have noticed though, that it says near the top of the search results (in very small letters) that the search was expanded... and you can search again WITHOUT the added junk if you want. I wonder if there's a way to set default search terms to turn that "feature" off permanently.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if there's a way to set default search terms to turn that "feature" off permanently.

It seems that EBay has become a lot less user friendly when it comes to searching. My suspicious mind tells me that in this way they can up some percentage average when justifying relevance of subject to their advertisers. I can't even get the default to keep "search by highest price". And what's up with EBay Motors? Isn't it just part of EBay?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
And what's up with EBay Motors? Isn't it just part of EBay?

It is but it isn't. Kinda like Half.com and Paypal too. They're all under the same eBay parent corporation somehow, but all their own companies too. Different URL's, fee structure, dispute processes, etc. eBay and Motors are much more integrated than the others, but still seem to be independent.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
I have been using Jaxed for a couple years. I think someone on Barthmobile was using it at the time too.

http://www.jaxed.com

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post