Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Originally I had my boats 120 fridge on an inverter/charger. I have two batteries for each engine and a single, just cuz. Also enough 1/2/off switches to isolate or combine enough to confuse. I figured the fridge is probably 30% duty cycle and battery capacity was greater than my tolerance for inactivity, I was only 50 then. I bet the 120vac draw is 2 amps max for your fridge and the duty cycle is also about 30% once cool. I generally cheat by placing a frozen quart plastic water bottle in the freezer section. Once everything is cold that bottle moves to the handy cooler, this procedure applies to the camper also (120vac,and propane).

Posts: 1086 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like progress indeed! Getting road ready! Thumbs Up

I am pleased the water heater is now working! You are right, there is a pretty good sized flame. It will heat the 6 gallons of water pretty fast. Even without the flame sense, I can tell when mine is lit because the flame is pretty loud.

Good luck with the furnace and fridge. Mine is stubborn to light after storage. It tries a few tims then goes into error mode. Sometimes I think the gas in the line gets stale. I have sometimes gone as far as to loosen the gas line fitting and purge a little gas. Seems to light better after that.

Considering the usual quality of the Barths, I was disappointed that none of the gas appliances had gas shut off valves in either of my Barths. I did install a valve in the furnace but meanwhile I just carry a male plug to use for disconnect if needed. There is no room in the water heater for the valve outside but I can easily access the gas line inside and I will put a valve there one of these days.

I must have done something right on my air suspension. If I leave air in the system, the air bags will stay up for a week or more now. With the old valves and line it would be down in a few hours.

We were supposed to meet several friends this weekend in the coach but we had to cancel as the host has just come down with Covid. We will reschedule I hope.

Keep up the good work! Thumbs Up Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5263 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Tim the 120-volt heater is 350 watts so about 3 amps and if I were to use the 12-volt circuit it takes 240 watts so about 10 amps. If you had that Norcold fridge it takes 12 volts d/c and converts it to a/c but I don't remember the voltage.

Just wired my fridge to a 120-volt source, turned it on for another overnight run, hope it still works.

Fired up the water heater again, Kevin suggested the flame noise might be from a blocked or semi- blocked flue, but it is open. Ran it for a few minutes and got warm water quite quickly!! Will let it run to shut off and draw a restart the next time I plan to spend a couple of hours in or around the Barth, still have shell shock from the fridge. The kitchen sink faucet has the hot and cold circuits reversed, my fault!

Time to start the "make me pretty phase for 71"!!

Paint the bumpers and the repair on the side, a few touch-ups here and there. The door has some discoloration might paint it too. The interior is another problem, very worn out 1971, not sure what to do yet! Will probably leave the cabinets alone; the ceiling needs some attention has a few splits. As with older RV's a lot of the wall area is paneling, will lighten that up for sure.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2130 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You may be able to adjust the burner for less noise. Look at the flame and see if it is a clean blue steady flame. If it is yellow, it needs a bit more air. On the burner tube where it exits the valve there is a slidiing sleeve that adjusts air. Try playing with it for color and noise. Too much air will make more noise and the flame will jump around. Might help.

OTOH it is nice to know when the burner is working without having to go outside and look. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5263 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The original fridge was a straight under counter model with the narrow cross top freezer can hold 2 half gallons of ice-cream and 90 12 oz beers. If you could check the run percentage of the fridge a pair of golf cart deep sixes might suffice. Things are sounding good.

Posts: 1086 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Been hotter than Sophia Lauren for the last week or so, did not get anything done on the "pretty me up phase" until today. Painted the back bumper black! Sanded for a while but got impatience and painted a bit too soon. Does not look too bad from 10 foot. Not sure that black is the best color, will post a picture soon and see what you folks say.

The creature comforts are functioning as well as one might expect for 30- to 50-year-old or there about stuff. Furnace, water heater, freshwater system are just fine so far. The fridge although it does work, will not keep anything frozen, just cold, so a newer unit might be nice in the future. Also 71 does not have a freshwater winterizing system, only drains and obviously they either did not do the job or were not used at all.

Hope to get a few more pretty-ups finished this weekend. Found dinette bench covers on Ebay, they will be here in few weeks from China of course.

Still yearning for a GTG this fall, any ideas???

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2130 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A picture of the black front bumper. Might look a bit better with license plate in place, the back picture perhaps too many shade lines in next post.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rear, is the black too much, considering a dark grey! Got a fancy ass spare wheel cover coming, an American flag on white background. From China of course!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Perhaps pinstripes for a bit of character? Certainly a nice improvement.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Perhaps pinstripes for a bit of character? Certainly a nice improvement.

Silver pinstripes, about 1/4 inch wide near the top and bottom. Nice idea Tim!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Picture of wheel cover! Sorry about the oversize, Steve might fix!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Did a little photo shopping and came up with this rendering of a pin stripe with the license plate, I like it better than the plain any opinions will be appreciated. NO plate on the back bumper pin stripe will go all the way across.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think it looks much better. More trimmed out. good idea Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo shop pin stripes with the actual license plate. Also photo shopped in the missing grill bar in the center look closely and you will see it. The grill bar is not missing Barth just never put one in, to me it should have one.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the wheel cover today. The pinstripes do not look good all the way across with this wheel cover. Don't think I like them anyway!!! Ordered .4-inch-wide chrome strip will use it in the front, will see about the back!

P30 chassis
350 engine