Forums    Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics    Barth All Aluminum Truck Camper 1967 :GOODSAM
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth All Aluminum Truck Camper 1967 :GOODSAM
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
https://community.goodsam.com/...mper-1967/m-p/880741

SEE PICS

Interesting write-up about the truck camper--

"Everything is riveted between the framing and sheeting. The framing is connected to the other framing with rivets, and the sheeting is connected to the framing with rivets.

Nothing is welded, except for the four jack point brackets that were galvanized steel--these are exactly like all the old style brackets common in this vintage--giant L brackets with welded on gussets.

The door, windows, and furniture were fastened with steel machine screws, as was the plywood floor. Some of the inner liner was attached with aluminum rivets also--that thin laminate bonded with ultra thin plywood--forgot what it is called. Incidentally, these door and window screws are on so tight I can't get them off. Everything wants to strip rather than back out.

I really like the riveted construction. I'm debating drilling out a bunch of rivets, and cutting the top vertically on both sides at the cab-over junction, and lifting the whole thing up and riveting in a ladder frame 12" high to make some more space inside. I have given some thought to putting in a basement but it is probably not worth that much effort. You could do anything with this type of construction. Want a side door entry? Easy, just drill out rivets, add the framing, skin it and bolt on the door.

further down...includes this:

http://barthpickupcamper.blogspot.com/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2614 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post