Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 won't shut off
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 won't shut off
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
This is a very interesting set of problems. It hasn't helped that I haven't been able to get the time to focus on the issues.

Earlier this year I started the 454 again, and noted the voltage gauge was at roughly 12V, not the 13.5 or so I want to see. I question the integrity of the alternator, go to the battery, and remove the ground. The engine stops.

OK, time for an alternator replacement. I put in the old one I was using before I did all the work a couple years ago. Again, I noted the problem of the voltage gauge. I turn the key to the off position, and remove it. Odd, the engine is still running! I go to the battery, and remove the ground. The engine stops.

So, I thought the key felt loose in the switch, I didn't think the ignition switch had a good feel to it when going from position to position. I swap it out, and the new ignition switch feels great to turn. And it starts the engine great, and when switched to the off position, the engine remains running.

Google tells me that other guys with trucks and RVs from the 1986 to 1990 timeframe have seen similar things, but no one has an answer that I have found.

So now I am wondering if there is some odd path, or more, such that power is applied to the distributor through a path other than the ignition switch. I will have to check for splices, relays, and so forth. I'm wondering if this situation is killing the alternators, I will have to take them to be tested, if I can't figure it out with the alternator in place.

I have the wiring manuals from GM. I am trying to imagine how a failure of the magnetic starter switch combined with a failure of the starter solenoid (while still starting the engine) might combine to somehow drive a voltage on circuit 3 of the wiring diagram.

I've found earlier documentation from GM, in reference to the older 10SI alternator, indicating that the alternator might "back feed", and keep an engine running with the key in the off position, and that a diode from Radio Shack is the answer.

Maybe there are grounding issues at the root of this. I am going to start tracing wires within the cable sheaths, I guess.

And just to be clear, the engine is not dieseling, it's running great as a gasoline powered engine should!

Happy Wrenching,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 554 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
I had a 72 Chevelle once that done that when I was a teenager, and it was the coil wire that had got hot in the loom and melted and shorted out with another wire. Oh and my neighbor had one that the horn was stuck on. The horn didnt work so he had no idea that the horn relay was on all the time. He discovered it by pulling fuses one at a time. I discovered mine when I was rewiring due to hungry mice after I got home from the navy. Guess it could also be a shorted starter wire holding the circuit closed. Hope you find your gremlin and bend him to your will. lol

Posts: 163 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Stop stop stop! Take a breath, you started with with questioning alternator output and went to the ignition switch and starter relay. First things first, do not ever disconnect the battery while the engine is running, that’s back from the days of generators. Since the alternator is off take it to O’reilys or your any other parts house that has a test stand and let them test it.

Secondly, I subscribe to “whenever something screws up, look at the last thing you did”. Remove the ignition switch again double-check your wiring. If it is a molded connector then skip this step. Plug the harness into the original switch and see if the problem goes away.

Quit throwing parts and money at an unknown problem, diagnose, diagnose and prove the fault first.

Years ago I uploaded the entire GM Motorhome Chassis Manual to this site, seek it out if you need to.

Good luck,Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 390 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul and Jaime! Isn't it fascinating when electrons go where they want, and not where we want? You got the Chevelle working, didn't you?

Another clue: when there is no background noise, and I first go to start the engine, when the key is in the "run" position, prior to going to the "start" position, I seem to recall that I could hear the "whrrrrr" sound from the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank. I am not hearing that.

There is a "electronics module" shown on the wiring diagram, that I am aware of. It shows up as part 12040947 on the wiring diagram. It is taking the TACH signal from the distributor as an input. The main function of this module is to determine when to energize the diverter valves for the AIR pumps. I believe that this module is also feeding an input to an "electronics module" 12010015 for control of power to the in-tank fuel pump.

There's a bit of logic that is implemented in these circuits:
- key was in off position, turned to run position, turn pump on, for a bit of time
- key is in run position, turned to start position, keep pump on
- key is in run position, engine is running, keep pump on (disable timer that was keeping pump going)
- key is in run position, engine is stopped, turn pump off
- key is in off position, keep pump off

The idea of this, is if for some reason, the engine stops running, like because a fuel line disconnected or there is an accident, that fuel is no longer pumped forward in the vehicle. I like that. I don't know what sequence of events resets the "startup pump timer".

So....

My first level of debug will be to remove the modules, and see if the engine turns off when I want it to. I'm wondering if between the path to the distributer via TACH, and to the ignition circuits, and to the power circuits, that there is a failure mode of one or both of the modules which provides a power path to the distributor.

I should probably also identify all components on all electrical nodes of each of the modules, by reviewing the wiring diagram.

So, work in progress.

Happy wrenching,
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Posts: 554 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
diagnose, diagnose and prove the fault first.

BillyT! How right you are. The division of my employer gave me the "road warrior" award for the past year. I'd been through around 2 dozen airports, countless trips...

I diagnose faults in industrial electronics! And the boss and the customers are happy!

So right now I am home from a 2 week trip away for work and getting ready for another trip. I'm hoping on this interlude to get the right diagnosis done, so if a parts order is needed, I can do so before I fly out again. And mow the lawn.

My present situation reminds me that there are no shortcuts for electrical and electronic systems diagnosis. The army saying "the easy way is always mined" is also coming to mind.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

posted Hide Post
Another clue: when I have the engine running, and the parking brake on, the parking brake light is bright on the dashboard. When I turn the key to the off position, the parking brake light goes to about 75% brightness. There is a bit of a skip in the idle speed when the key is switched off. The parking brake light is on circuit 3. So it seems something has failed, for unswitched power to be delivered to circuit 3. I hope to get the time this weekend to investigate.

Matt

posted Hide Post
I'll say it is solved when everything is back together. Here is the intermediate status: the fuel pump relay module is out of the circuit, the check engine light relay module is out of the circuit, and the AIR diverter valve relay module is out of the circuit. The engine still keeps running when the key is turned off. There is still one last semiconductor module in the system at this point, the HEI module.

I'd been speculating that perhaps there was a path by which the tach signal output was feeding power to the HEI module. I removed the combined tach/power connector from the distributor, jumpered the power connector from the wire harness to the power input of the distributor. The engine starts and stops under key control, now, as it should.

Right now I am speculating that there is a fault in the HEI module, and/or a fault in the tach circuit, going to the VDO tachometer in the dash. That has to be diagnosed. I will look at the wiring in the region, and perhaps replace that HEI module and see what happens.

Looking at the circuit boards on the relay modules is like a jump back in time in the semiconductor world: Fairchild, Motorola, TI (still around), RCA (the Radio Corporation of America!), SGS... No burn marks are evident, no leaky capacitors....

And somehow it seems this issue has cost me two alternators as well....

So, onwards, towards having electrons obey all our commands!

Matt

Chevrolet 454

posted Hide Post
With a GM D1906 HEI module newly installed, the engine starts with the key, and shuts off with the key.

The VDO tachometer seems to be stuck at 0 RPM during the time the engine runs.

I am planning on replacement of the relay control modules as part of "putting it back together". Then I can diagnose the alternator issue.

happy motoring!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez Matt, that is a weirdo for sure. Really surprised that a fault is in the HEI always told that thing is indestructible!!
Good thing you have the skills to determine the fault!

Good luck!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2116 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It gets worse.

I thought I had it understood. I found what I thought to be a burned diode in one of the relay control modules, and I replaced all 3 of the modules.

I had the fuses out for most of the circuits and under key control, the engine starts and stops as it should.

I added the fuses back. I started again, and I see that the gauges aren't working. The gauges fuse had blown. I also found that the heater blower motor fuse had blown.

I tried to start again. More smoke than I've ever seen from a circuit came from the starter and I was afraid I was going to lose it all to fire and I grabbed for the extinguisher. The smoke cleared and I went to disconnect the battery.

The ground lug of the battery had melted and the ground cable was freed from contact. I've never heard of anything like this.

I'm guessing that system grounding needs attention. And also that there is something going on in the gauges circuit.

oh darn!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez Matt wish I could help but no idea what to do, except wish you good luck!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2116 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
wish you good luck!!!

Duane! I'll take it!

I got the battery cable off, to the starter. The cable had been "fixed" by a prior owner, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the fix worked for 20 years. I never liked the cable end, when I had to replace the solenoid, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

It felt like there were two cables joined with a rat tail splice under the red electrical tape. The joint was stiff, and the lug connector was at a bad angle. It gave out, at least it was in my yard.

Perhaps the battery had issues too, that was 7 years old.

I'm going to start rebuilding first the starter circuit, and go on from there. This isn't the only electrical issue there. I'm going to give lots of attention to the grounding integrity of all the circuits and try to see what is up.

It's no wonder that "the pros" hate working on these things, a customer brings in something for a little fix, and a cascade of other issues become evident.

See you later!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
How bizarre it gets! confusion

In my experience with old cars, coaches and repairs I have seen so many totally strange things that defy logic.

With our dinosaur coaches we have accumulated many "ghosts in the machines." Some are due to the factory patch jobs during the transition from carbs to fuel injection. Remember all the vacuum lines on the 70's cars? They added solenoids, EGR, air pumps on the exhausts, timing retard, etc. Our 80's coaches have numerous examples. In addition to the factory voodoo, they have often been modified in sometimes completely strange ways, by owners or "mechanics" who do not truly understand the mysteries of electrons. In your case you have the added layer: Command Center related wiring....

My 54 Chev had 3 separate wires feeding power from the key switch the coil. One had three splices and they all went different routes! I ripped them all out, installed one new wire. Poor workmanship and bad changes everywhere.

When I got my 86 Regal, I got a low compression 454 engine, with AIR pumps, vacuum retard, and EGR that was rated at 240hp! 240hp from a 454 cubic inch engine! Several magic relays for choke circuits, fuel pumps and AIR pumps. None working well.

Long ago, after wasting countless hours trying to troubleshoot factory emission cobble jobs and owner mods, I have ever since followed the mantra...Rip it out and make it right.

On my Regal, I removed all the defective emissions equipment, (pumps, belts, brackets and hoses) rewired the fuel pump circuit, adjusted timing and carb. The mileage went from 6.3 to about 7.

The final touch was the 454HO engine. Up from 8.2 compression to 9.5. Fuel injected, now about 400hp. Mileage went to 8+mpg. Ran great, fun to drive. Up to modern standards of performance.

In my case, I understand electricity well. I could easily wire a coach from scratch. I have never had to redo any electrical changes I have made. That said, many do not have this knowledge. My advice is Keep it simple, get rid of anything that is marginal (most OEM GM wiring is marginal, in size, at least. Consider headlight wires. Stock headlights get about 10 volts.... there are fixes here on the site, etc) Use quality materials and common sense to simplify when possible.

Good luck with your dinosaur! head bang Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5240 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post