Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

outside doors
 Login now/Join our community

posted
the outside doors on my "new" 28 have suffered from spots of corrosion , I suspect that the locks allowed water inside. I would like to replace the outside metal but find that the frame is welded. My thought is to cut the bottom loose to remove the insides then replace with some screws.
Has anyone else done this or some other method of repair?
What is the material inside the panel ?

Posts: 3 | Location: tennessee | Member Since: 02-18-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Barth used plywood between the skins of the compartment doors. Many have corrosion pitting and holes, often where the knots in the plywood are. Not sure the cause but it appears almost like a galvanic problem.

The cure appears to be dismantling the frames and replacing the panels.

Here is one example: https://www.barthmobile.com/ev...081094552#2081094552

Search the site, there are others... good luck. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5264 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link , it is what I was looking for, very helpful. Last summer I repaired a door on a small utility trailer. The door had the same problem . I put marine plywood in with a coating of varnish , then the skin of aluminum. The problem was the new thickness of the plywood so had to add some 1/8 paneling. The bolts on the hinges caused the damage.
Now I will attack the Barth's doors. Jut not sure about the welds.

thanks again.

Posts: 3 | Location: tennessee | Member Since: 02-18-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post