Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bought 1993 Breakaway 30.5 recently on ebay
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of vince900ss
posted
Hi folks. I just joined, having found your great site while searching for information on the 1993 Breakaway I located on ebay. I have taken the plunge and made the purchase. This 93 coach is owned by Tom Gallagher in Lumberton, MS, and has been discussed some on this site. The identification numbers I've found from when it was listed for sale on this site earlier are...93 BARTH BREAKAWAY
Model # 9209-3823-30BS-11B
Serial # 4S7KT9T17NC005449
I'm heading up there to check it out in person and finalize the purchase. Any feedback from you folks who have seen or know of this coach would be greatly appreciated. I'm also in the process of trying to read whatever I can find on the site in terms of things to look for, etc. But I'd welcome any comments or suggestions that any of you might have.
Thanks very much, and I look forward to getting to know you folks as time goes by. Oh...and by the way Bill, I was born in Kingston, NY, and grew up in Port Ewen. Just down the road from you, as you know!
Vince

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh...and by the way Bill, I was born in Kingston, NY, and grew up in Port Ewen. Just down the road from you, as you know!

We won't hold that against you...too much ROTFLMAO

Good luck on your purchase.

If you've followed the experiences, sagas, quests and frustrations here on Barthmobile, you already know that RVing is an experiential way of life that gains from both the updside and the downside adventures. It's like hiking the Appalachian...with a bathroom!

What you don't want is a worn out POS, but don't think you're buying a 2010 Prevost either. We sometimes slam the new RVs here on Barthmobile, but there is truly a place for many RVers to have a new, warranted rig. For the rest of us, there is the tool box and the checkbook! Perhaps the success of Barthmobile lies in "Misery loves company", but I often point out to engaged couples that I hope something goes really wrong in their wedding as that will be the fun thing that everyone talks about for years to come. I'll amend my previous statement, RVing requires a tool box, check book, and sense of humor.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vince,
I just looked at your moniker, are you a Ducati guy?

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
RV ownership definitely is one of those "acquired tastes" when it comes to pastimes. You have to enjoy the tinkering/improvement aspect or you'll go nuts paying shops to constantly do work. But the benefits of having your own home anywhere you go are priceless, and even though I don't own a Barth I certainly know they are something special. Congrats on the purchase and post some more info/photos when you have them!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I have "camped" since I was a kid, up to and including travel trailers, but no coaches. Figure I might as well start with the best! Have always admired the Barths. I am a do-it-yourselfer, and a "home mechanic", which should help. In any case, my budget won't allow a new coach, nor would I want one. Prefer the classics...
We'll just be doing an extended trip or two a year, plus long weekends to start. More later hopefully.
Vince

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Make sure to make the Gettogether at Hillsborough State Park the first weekend of December one of your trips. It should be about 2-3 hours down 75 for you.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...41087061/m/550100422

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, vince900ss. You live in my neck of the woods (I'm 15 miles N. of the FHP Station at US 441/SR 121).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
So...........Vince, what's the deal on the 900SS? Is your a bevel or belt?

Mine is a bevel.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Rusty...good to know! Actually, I'm in Fort White. I put down Gainesville, as who would know where Fort White is...aside from you! Would love to chat with you if you have a few minutes. My number is 386-497-4257 if you have time.

Bill...It was a belt drive. Not the bevel. Oh well. Good catch! Not many would know. I have used that as an ID ever since owning that bike. Sounds like you're a present, or former, Ducati owner as well....

Vince

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I lived in Ft. White for 3 years (Wilson Springs). Currently on the road on my way to Ft. Walton Beach to get my coach's drivetrain beefed up.

I'll call you when I get back.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine is a bevel.

Mine is neither.

I put a frame mounted 900SS fairing on my R90S.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vince900ss:

Bill...It was a belt drive. Not the bevel. Oh well. Good catch! Not many would know. I have used that as an ID ever since owning that bike. Sounds like you're a present, or former, Ducati owner as well....

Vince

Yeah, still have a 1980 900SS, but a bad knee keeps me from kickstarting it, and bump starting gets old with clip-ons and rearsets. I am in the throes of indecision as whether to convert it to electric start or swap it for an electric start.

What SS did you have?

I have owned at least one Ducati since 1962. That little 200SS spoiled me for lesser bikes ever since.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
quote:

Mine is a bevel.

Mine is neither.

I put a frame mounted 900SS fairing on my R90S.

Nice bike. The fairing looks like a natural. My K75 needs a fairing, and has worn the K75S, C and a Shoei FM2 fairing. Next is probably a Ducati fairing, too, but not the one on the Duc. I might just splash it and make a dupe. Then I will have a mold for when I throw the Duc down the road. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Bill,

Sounds like a good plan.

The hard part of installing the 900SS fairing on the BMW was building a bracket that would allow full lock-to-lock steering. Unbelievably, the fairing people say to live with about half the steering! Fine at highway speeds, but no good for slow, tight turns. Here's a crappy pic of the mount modified with recesses to allow full steering.

Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Dan and Suzy...
Thanks for the note on the get together. That would be perfect. I lived in the Tampa area for many years before moving up here, and my Son still lives there as well. So we'll plan on it.

I had a 1995 Ducati 900SS. Bought it new after test riding a 951 (great fun; but hard on the wrists). That was many bikes ago. One of the first Hayabusas in FL was next, then BMW K1200, etc. None now though.
Love the bike and the fairing. Perfect combo. I do recall the limited lock to lock travel on the Duc. Nearly dropped it in the parking lot the first time I rode it!

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis