Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bring back the lusture
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
Hi all for those of you who know me I have a 1975 Barth 21ft class C silver and maroon. My question is what do I use to bring back the shine? any information will be appreciated.

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For the painted areas, Astro-Shield or Nu-Finish; despite what the instructions say, bringing back the shine takes extra effort. Treat the areas polished as you would spit-shining shoes: Rub the polish in until the shine starts to bloom.

For the bare aluminum, Met-All or Alcoa Aluminum Polish. Avoid the use of mechanical buffers if you can; if necessary, use only low-speed, random orbit polishers. The "shiny" on aluminum panels is usually a thin cladding of pure aluminum over the aluminum alloy sheetmetal. One doesn't want to breach that film.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Lots of airplane folk like Nuvite, along with Met All, as Rusty mentioned. Old Airstream folks like it, too. Lots of bikers who have put up with aluminum forever like Wenol or Simichrome. Busch is popular with motorhomers, too. Lots of custom and show car guys like Mother's. Get on an Airstream forum for info, too.

Power buffing will get you varying opinions. My airline used power buffers exclusively since the 30s. They were, for the most part, the only unpainted airline. We tested for clad integrity with chemicals, and seldom found a problem.

That said, there are power buffers and power buffers. Certainly a klutz with the wrong buffer can do real damage. Ours were big fluffy rollers on long handles, air driven. I have also seen fine work done with a cyclo buffer. Aircraft stores sell them.

However, a power buffer is more apt to do damage to any cladding on the ribbed skin of a typical Barth than to a smooth airplane or an Airstream, as the power buff would hit the high spots harder. I don't even know if Barth uses clad metal or not. The way mine is reacting to the nearby ocean, I would think not. Frowner

Give this site a search for old opinions on polish.

BTW, when I had a Newport C, I lusted for either a Barth or a Lazy Daze. Could you post a picture or two?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
thank you

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post