Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thread Drift
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I have a serious favor to ask of you all. We are having a major problem with thread drift. If someone leaves a message on a certain topic, we should try to keep that thread somewhat on the topic. I am not trying to be a party pooper, however, I would say that I think the person who leaves a topic of some concern or even a coach for sale deserves for that post to remain in somewhat that direction.

This would also concern the Barths for Sale. It is more than proper to to have a coach for sale thread continue along the lines of value and how much other coaches have sold for or where can I get a bumper like that? etc. But if a thread deteorates to RV sking in Vale. Then this becomes unfair to the original poster.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks for your consideration.

Dave

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Are wisecracks OK?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Wise cracks are not only OK but strongly encouraged. If this site loses it's "tude then even I will get bored.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dave,

You Da Boss. Start a section on "Meanderings" and move those drifting threads to ther appropriate resting place.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, would you repeat your post? YES, YES I WILL TRY. Get that son? One more thing, ron needs a section for SCOOTERS, and I need for WHIZZERS. Too, Bill G. needs one for REAL wood flooring. Dale

------------------

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited February 22, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have a complaint. I came in here expecting this post to be dealing with a machinists tool....you know, a thread drift...but instead all I see is meanderings about lost topics. If you're not going to stick to the topic at hand, then what are we expected to do....*hrmphhh hrmphhh*
Mark

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark, when you are at the Rally hit us all up the side the head. We are a sorry bunch aren't we? SORRY.... Dale

------------------

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I love this group of people it gives me a chill down my spline.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 22, 2004).]

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Thread drift is not a machinist's tool. It is what happens when a fine thread nut is installed on a coarse thread bolt, or vice-versa. It is successful if either the bolt or nut is of a different grade than the other. It both are of the same grade of steel, it doesn't work.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good thing about the DRIFT is that it doesn't mean that those that do such are slapping the orginal poster in the face. Usually something said in a post will prompt another post to DRIFT a bit, and HUMOR seems to be involved often. Too I have noted that a thread can DRIFT for a period, but low and behold all of the sudden it is back on track. I have noticed that DRIFT can even start a whole new train of productive thought, and this is good. I am not saying Dave is wrong in his request, but I doubt that he is saying, QUIT IT COMPLETELY Am I right Dave? PLEASE keep your POSTS flowing, it's a great way to learn, and to get to know each other. I VALUE this site, and it is because of such that I along with several others are working hard at making the June Rally an enjoyable event. Dale

------------------

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I think everyone knows what I mean. And anything I say here is a suggestion. If someone starts a post on brakes we owe it to that person to continue on that line. At the bottom of the main page and in General discussion if someone wants to start a post on movies (like I did) that's wonderful. But if I started talking about movies in that thread it would be inappropriate.

Hey my Kwickie Steps don't work!

"Hey remember that Shirley Temple movie when she dances with Mr. Bojangles on the steps in the plantation.?"

"Ya slavery sucked"

"I was in Virginia once, bought a ham hanging from the ceiling in a 7-11"

"Boy my mom made great ham and scalloped potatoes".

"Speaking of potatoes, we were traveling in Idaho when my Kwickie Steps quit working".

Working, in four years I am retiring"..

See what I mean????

posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying, and I will comply.... I will say that there is a good thing about drift.... it keeps the post at the top of the list(everyone keeps replying), and people do get back to the point at hand....

oh well... Ill just have to harass Ron in my own thread.. hehe

Posts: 10 | Location: Indianapolis, IN,US | Member Since: 07-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Hey, what about thread bare? That's more of my issue. I rather liked Bill H's explanation because I know people and groups that fit his description. Thread drift....so is this the place to let it drift? Or do we just keep shoveling? It do get deep sometimes, way over my head, but Dave's point is well taken and by golly someone''s gotta try to keep this unruly group on track. Reminds me of that Shirley Temple movie...ooops, forget that! the GARy part of below.

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a barth for sale?

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post