Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Models
 Login now/Join our community

posted
According to the paper work I received with my Barth when I bought my 1987 unit it in March the serial # is 8702/3408/22S30. Can anyone tell me what model Barth I have? Your help will be appreciated as we enjoy reading the mail.

JMF

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMF:
...I bought my 1987 unit it in March the serial # is 8702/3408/22S30
8702 Your Barth was Built in Feb of 1987. The 3408 tells us the build number of your unit. The 22s stands for a 22' single drive axle chassis. I believe the 30 stands for the floor plan of your coach but I really don't know what it is for sure.

This is my unit id number from the wall

UNIT ID:9102 3709 33S-12

9102: 1991/February
3709: Coach Build Number
33s: 33 Foot Long, Single Axle
-12: Floor Plan, Commercial ?

So from Feb of 1987 to Feb of 1992 there were 301 Barth's built?

Does that sound right, 60 coaches a year? 10 a month? Huh, Maybe... Confused

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, 60 coaches a year, 10 a month? That must be east coast math.....west coast math works out to 5 coaches a month Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Barth built approx. 300 coaches a year. In their 30 year history they built around 9000 coaches.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey JFM, my 28' Breakaway was the very next coach built after yours. My Number is: 9101 3710 28BS-1B. Sniboy

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Bill, 60 coaches a year, 10 a month? That must be east coast math.....west coast math works out to 5 coaches a month Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Eeker Were the #@%! did that come from? Eeker

My early post (before editing) I put down 5.02 coaches per month to equal the 301 coaches. The left and right side of my brain must be at war with each other!

Another interesting thing to note: nearly 5/4 of people don't know fractions. (yes, that's a joke!)

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniboy:
Hey JFM, my 28' Breakaway was the very next coach built after yours. My Number is: 9101 3710 28BS-1B. Sniboy
The 3709 coach is mine. I know the 91 part of the vin is 1991. I question the 01 part as that sounds like a January build date. Mine has 02 for (I think) February.

Maybe yours was started after mine but might have been completed before mine was? I don't know. Being that mine was a commercial medical unit they could have been waiting on some extra stuff?

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bower:
Barth built approx. 300 coaches a year. In their 30 year history they built around 9000 coaches.
birddog (Rick) has a 1985 coach and his vin is 8503/3203/32TFP2... coach #3203. That's 506 coach numbers of difference from mine #3709. From Birddogs 1985 to JMF's 1987 #3408 or a differecnce of 205 units.

This is all pretty interesting to me. I'm curious as to other coach build numbers and years. Does anyone know for sure? I might need to rethink the vin numbers info if they built approx 300 a year.

Seeing that this site is dedicated to finding out and sharing info on Barth coaches does anyone else care to share their thoughts and Barth body build numbers on this?

Bill N.Y.

posted Hide Post
I thank you all who have given me information on the Barth serial numbers. I guess the "30" stands for feet as that is what it is. I don't know where to look as to the model or type of unit.

Jim

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jim, is it gas or diesel?

Pusher or puller?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Just for kicks for you guys, my Euro is listed Manu date-2-11-81. Ser # 1GBKP37WiB3301074
From this I can see no reference to length, date of manufacture, or anything that could tell me what I own. I'm not worried, because I already know, but I'm glad I don't have to depend on a # to tell me.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Danny, your number is the Chevy chassis VIN. These guys are talking about the number Barth put on the coach. You've got one somewhere, maybe on your registration or title, if not in the coach.

Your #1 means it was built in the U.S. G means built by General Motors. B means Chevrolet, incomplete, K means GVWR 14,001-16,000 w/hydraulic brakes. P means forward control, 3 means 1 ton, 7 means Motor Home chassis, W means Chev 7.4L V8 4BBL LE8, i is a check digit - don't ask me what that means, B means year 1981, 3 means built in Detroit, 301074 is the production sequence number. I know that's more than you really want to know, but I couldn't resist.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You can tell who's the engineer & who's the bureaucrat in this crowd.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMF:
I guess the "30" stands for feet as that is what it is.
Is it a single drive axle or is there a tag axle? The "S" could stand for single drive axle.

quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
i is a check digit - don't ask me what that means.
A check digit is a form of anti-theft. If you looked at a sequential group of trucks or frames being produced everything is the same except the last digit or two and the check digit. You would have to know the check digit to fool DMV.

You couldn't just use the same numbers and change the last few as you would have to know the check digit info as well.

Bill N.Y.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
You can tell who's the engineer & who's the bureaucrat in this crowd.
M-u-s-t not r-e-s-p-o-n-d. Big Grin

I believed that the info I was giving out was correct. If it's not then maybe you might know how to decode these numbers. This site is about sharing info and trying to find out more about the Barth custom coaches. Would you care to share your info?

JMF's Barth build number ends with 22S30. The other Barth's that I have heard about from the mid 80's to the mid 90's seem to suggest the length followed by axle configuration followed by (I think) the floorplan. This is the case on mine from 91 and birddog from 85 and Sniboy Breakaway from 1991 28BS-1B. The 28 is length the "B" could be Breakaway and the "S" sounds like a single axle.

Would anyone else like to share there Barth build tag info as this might help someone else out in the future.

A true story from the early 90's...

I was getting ready to buy a Chevy Nova. The 1970 Nova was in great shape and the driver had owned this car for about 5 years. He kept telling me it was a 1970 but everything kept telling me it was a 72. The horn relay on a 1972 is mounted on the firewall and the marker lights on the front bumper is yellow instead of white. The reverse lights are bigger in 72 then in 70 and the dashboard had slightly larger numbers on it.

I walked away from it knowing that it wasn't right. It turns out that the person who bought it I knew, I told him about my fellings on this car. He took it to his State Trooper brother and they investigated further.

The guy stole this car and swapped over his VIN info to this car. He then torched his car with the swapped VIN number on it. His car is burnt with the other guy's VIN number on it. Unless I knew the subtle differences between a 70 and 72 he would have gotten away with this.

Bill N.Y.