Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

SLIDE OUT FOR BARTH
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
Hi all ! If I were to find a Barth bookmobile with what looks like a 4x6 door on the drivers side near the rear could I fab. a slide out that size or large/longer? Is the framing around the door opening strong enough to keep the shell of the unit from flexing? Can a larger opening be made with the same door frame but wider and taller for a slide??? Anyone with a bookmobile/Med unit ever look at the framing?

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
SJB,
There is at least one company out there that builds slides for older coached. I know I read about the company on some RV website, but cannot remember where. I'm sure it could be done. Barth built them stronger than the rest, so it would stand to reason the a slide could be added.

I'm sure other posing here may know of the company I'm referring to.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another RV site advised me of a custom shop in Pheonix, AZ that does nothing but the adding of SLIDES to older coaches. Anyone in the Pheonix area know of such?

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
RV Interiors in Gilbert where we got some of our furniture does slides....rv-interiors.com and that reminds me, we saw a Barth when we were there...it was from Texas and had brown stripes if i remember right. Was getting some work done, new interior? but the owners weren't there at the time. Took some pics but don't know where they are right now. Anybody know the coach?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call 1 888 844-2752 Gilbert, AZ as they may be able to add a slide to a N0N-SLIDE coach. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Here's another slide installer. http://www.homestead.com/customcraftedcoach/

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dave: I really liked your coach in gary and black that you whipped up to show what could be done with a change in style . Any chance that you have an idea of what a Barth would look like with a shide or two?

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dave: I really liked your coach in gary and black that you whipped up to show what could be done with a change in style . Any chance that you have an idea of what a Barth would look like with a slide or two?

posted Hide Post
Hey, has anyone checked and has a feel for what they charge for a SLIDE? Just wondered. Dale

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hey, Sloop John B------any Jimmie Rodgers or Kingston Trio connection in your name? Or maybe Beach Boys?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Yes Dale, I checked some time ago and it is around $17K. When I talked to him he says that everything is in the bay so it is a flat floor install. However, I am thinking that when a company creates a coach with a slide that there are other design consideration other than just adding the slide. Remember you are adding several hundred pounds to that side of the coach. Maybe not..it just seems to me that a slide out isn't an after market product.

However, when I first started this website, on of the first guys who ever contacted me had a 1970 something Barth and had added his own crank out slide. This guy traveled to flea markets selling this graduated drill that you could drill holes from 1/16-1/4 with the same bit. He also did computer programing and webdesign out of his coach. thus the slide out for all of his computer stuff. He had also rigged a thing where he could hook a awning on the front of his coach so when he went to a show he would drive up, flip up this front awning and go to work. I had a picture of it at one time but can't find it.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Found this, is not a bookmobile, but its in that catagory. The generator equipment could power an entire Barth get to gether.

http://www.govassets4sale.com/product.asp?itemnum=1134

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Bill H Great music, but no only connect to Califoria is both a brother and sister with families in San Diego and the valley. The Sloop John B comes from another brothers 38 foot sailboat on Lake Michigan out of South Haven Michigan,. It is his third which he built or rebuilt himself. If Ifind a Barth I like we will build the slide ourselves. He is the mechanical one I work in wood, metal,house, vespa, 2002 BMW.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack for sharing the Mammeogram vehicle with us. It is my understanding that Barth built a ton of these, as well as x-ray hazmat, (I was told that three Barths were lost in 9-11)bookmobiles etc. Talking about a drooping rear, wow.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sloop, that was one of my favorite songs in the 50's, both JR and KT. In Vietnam I sang the chorus to myself a lot.

Used to have Vespas a lot. Had a GS 160 bored out to 180 with big carb, tuned pipe, ported and racing brakes. Raised the footboards and removed center stand for cornering. Spark show at night. Surprised a lot of people. My desert racer used castor oil on weekends, and I used up the remaining premix (115/145) during the week in the Vespa. Most interesting smelling scooter ever.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post