Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ebay 28
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted
I know it is late but the football games are over and the Packers are in!
Any questions or views on the listed coach? I am thinking it might be a viable option for the upcoming season. Fuel costs are escalating but one engine at >8mpg and 60mpg is better than two at 0.9mpg and 10mph. I will probably call with questions tomorrow so help is welcomed.
thanks in advance

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Link

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
A couple things popped out at me, and the dealer didn't really provide that much information (in words) which means they are just flipping the rig and have nothing invested...

quote:
The tires are getting a little dry but will make the trip home anywhere in the US.

Ha, just because THEY made it 300 miles on old tires doesn't mean that you will! Get them to give you the DOT code stamped on the tire(s) so you know how old they are. I bet they are probably all in need of replacement (over 7 years old) so you'd need to budget that in.

I was going to comment on the low mileage in an older coach (can be a bad thing), but...

quote:
The odometer was changed out @ 50k miles so this coach will be sold as true miles unknown.

That's a pretty big "unknown" because you have no idea how much use the major components have had. You'd want to have an independent mechanical inspection done before purchasing IMO.

It does look nice in the photos, but digital images can be forgiving compared to seeing something in person.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Might need new batteries and cables, No pictures of the engine? a diesel puller?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what the big blue numbers (2073) are for? Club, registration, rental fleet?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
The blue number is the Barth Ranger number, probably of the original owner. I have an old Barth Ranger directory ands if someone wants, I'll look it up and post it later today. It's an interesting coach, a Regal with a Spartan/diesel chassis and engine. This could be a good buy for someone who wouldn't mind the diesel in the front.

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that this coach has a 240 HP Cummins as advertised! It has a 4 speed trans for sure and unless there is a Banks kit on the engine it is more likely a 160 HP or 190 HP engine.

I don't believe that anyone made 235 70 19.5 tires.

I have always wondered about engine noise with a Cummins up front, has to be LOUD!

Just knit-pickin'!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Thanks all and keep those postcards and letters coming in.
The foreclosure purchase may explain the lack of pictures of shore power cords and other external connection stuff as well as radio. Isn't lack of back-up camera strange?
Tires were figured as a near term investment and batteries on the calendar this year, 4 in the boat all around 5-7 years old. Relative to the tires, I have read the G159 is rated for 55mph max. Is this unusual and is it an indication of available power versus frontal area? Would I be returning to the 60's (in my 60's) when I was driving a 1964 VW bus that had a max speed of 70mph minus wind speed and degrees of incline?
Thanks again.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
It sits just along Interstate 10 in Seguin at a dealership, near San Antonio TX. Would have stopped and looked but it was Christmas day when we drover by it. Can see it from Interstate.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herbjohns:
The blue number is the Barth Ranger number, probably of the original owner. I have an old Barth Ranger directory ands if someone wants, I'll look it up and post it later today. It's an interesting coach, a Regal with a Spartan/diesel chassis and engine. This could be a good buy for someone who wouldn't mind the diesel in the front.

Herb it would be good if I could talk to the original owner if available. Things like sound levels would be an interesting topic.
Oh and about the tire size, they are 8R19.5s
TIA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Sorry this took soo long...I do not have a directory with this number listed. The '87 one is too old and in the '99 one the numbers jump from 2070 to 2075, no 2073. Both of those coaches are (or were) Texas ones. Neither was listed in the '05 directory. One possibility would be to contact the dealer and see if original ownership could be found in Barth manuals. Another would be to see if the original dealer could be identified and, if still in business contact them. Not having a Barth from 1990 to 1998 I have a blank in that time frame. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the efforts Herb. I talked with the dealer yesterday and learned more than I wanted but most of what I expected. Was hoping to switch interest to the Regency of Speedy Hoyle but it is under offer. I guess I will ride this horse until tossed off or the whistle blows.
Tim

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It has over 73K miles, not the 18K in the listing. nono

Hopefully the dealer has been forthright over the phone... hmm

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
In the listing it mentions and/or there is picture of the odometer with the 55555 Miles original, changed 9-29-98. Probably the listing was filled out by the same person listing it as gas.
There may be a problem with the windshield wipers???? How is the access to these? Were they above it might be easier but...

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The windshield wipers, if they're like Breakaways, and are electric, are a bit awkward to get to, but easily serviced.

I posted a thread about removal and refurb.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke