Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Window blinds string broken
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Window blinds string broken
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Has anyone replace the strings that are in tension holding the sliding window blinds/shades?

If so what string material was used? I have others that are getting a bit ratty and will be breaking in the near future.

I have one string broken and can not use the blind until I fix it.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Mine looks like small cording. You can find this at your local fabric shop. You know places like JoAnn fabrics. Ask your number one woman.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Also check places that sell venitian blinds.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Has anyone replace the strings that are in tension holding the sliding window blinds/shades?

Sure, Susan does it. She uses a heavy ocean braided fishline that I picked up at a nearby tackle shop. I think it is Tuf Line. They claim no stretch under fishing loads, and sell one waxy and one not. We use the non waxy. It seems to be lasting forever, but really only ten years that we know about. It pays to deburr any metal while you are in there.

I also carry a small amount with me when hunting, etc, as you can do almost anything with it, then coat it with cyano. You wouldn't believe the bodge jobs I have done out in the woods that have lasted and lasted. One guy still hates me because he cut himself undoing one of my temporary repairs that was too permanent.

I removed the blind and a good one, and Susan laid them both on a bench and threaded the bad one like the good one. She made a drawing for subsequent restringings on the others.

The bottom drawing is Susan's original sketch, and the top one is done by a pro, somewhat later.

Call if she can help in any way.

Day & Night Shade - restringing diagram - 369 KB ~

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Day & Night Shade dealers restring the blinds and fix tears (small ones) I thin I paid about $25 for two. (My dealer is Channelview Supply in Houston)

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Shade is fixed! I used 250 lb test braided fishing line, routing was very simple, one side was OK so just mirrored that, then replaced that side so that the cords matched.

I have a TON of line left, anyone needs feet of this let me know--

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks everyone! Shade is fixed! I used 250 lb test braided fishing line, routing was very simple, one side was OK so just mirrored that, then replaced that side so that the cords matched.

How about you take us all fishing!!!

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to buy what you have left or enough to do four shades . Call me 620-365-0940 thanks Paul

Posts: 35 | Location: Southeast Kansas | Member Since: 10-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post