Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Speechless....
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speechless....
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I've been hesitating to post this experience but what the heck. I picked up my Barth from Banks HQ in Azusa on Tuesday morning and the coach quit running at a major 57/210/60 freeway interchange. Fortunately I was able to get on the shoulder. After some investigation I found my fuel filter sitting down in my engine compartment..I couldn't help noticing the fuel filter bracket is part of the Banks intake manifold installation. However when I called Banks, the service mgr. called me back and said they don't touch the fuel filter and to tow the coach to the last place that changed my fuel filter. Keep in mind I'm sitting on the frwy and this is what they are telling me. I called back and spoke to his superior and they said tow it in. The grumbling technician re-installs the fuel filter, primes and gets the engine running. While this is going on, the tow truck driver leaves without putting my drive shaft back on. I call Good Sam and they tell me I have to pay to have my drive shaft re-installed and it is not a part of the tow service. Banks went ahead and put the driveshaft back on but while driving home I felt a vibration and realized they installed it out of clocking. So I finally make it home 10 hr.s later and while showing a friend my engine compartment, he points to part of my wiring harness somebody moved to access the fuel injection system. Somebody left the harness laying against my alternator belt and the belt had cut through the installation slicing my AC wiring. You know I was going to install the kit myself but I thought, "Banks" is a professional organization and knows what they are doing so I better pay the premium and let the experts install the kit. At this point I'm speechless.

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This is why I still do as much of my own work as I can, though as I get older, it's getting harder & harder to get out and get under.

Sorry to say, "professional" these days often means paying $70.00 an hour to buy more trouble.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited November 04, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
THAT scenario needs to be posted verbatim on EVERY motorhome & RV chat group that can be contacted......I can make all those screw-ups on my own....shouldn't be expected to pay top dollar labor to show me how!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Your earlier posts: "I paid a grand total of $2945.82 for the Power Pack system installed in Azusa. I saved approximately $700 from retail through the RV Show in Pomona. Also they deducted another $577 + 1 hr. labor because I already had the large turbo housing. Before I was only able to manage a top speed of about 64mph. Yesterday I was able to cruise at 72 mph and going up. Hills were easier to climb as well.What would normally be a 45mph climb is now a 50-55mph climb. Acceleration isn't mind blowing but about 20% better. I would definitely recommend the package for $3K. The labor is normally 17 hr.s at $75 an hour but if you're handy you could probably install this yourself. It comes with very good instructions."
------------------
You're happy with everything, especially price -EXCEPT the installation. Perhaps you got what you paid for? Isn't Banks a franchise? If so, yours may be a local problem (admittedly, a VERY BIG problem).

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited November 04, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to call the corporate president of Banks and get him to straighten this out. I've had to do this with Camping World and Gear Vendors on the G/V unit I had installed last month. Admittedly, I haven't heard from either one yet, but I won't go away. You paid too much money to be treated this way.
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You pay for the Good Sams package.

1) Good Sams should have sent out a roadservice vendor to reinstall your fuel filter and reprime the system.
2) The tow truck operator should have re-installed your driveshaft. He took it out so he should put it back in!

Banks butchered your motorhome and then gave you a line of crap. You should post your experience to anyone that will listen. From any RV owner to other RV websites. I would contact the top people at Banks and keep bitching until someone does something to make you happy, you will need to figure out what that is! Another driveshaft out of time?

Keep in mind that if you stay "Speechless" they have won! Complain very loudly and often.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never in my experience has a tow truck driver re-installed my drive line. I imagine if you read the fine print it will say that they do not re-install.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Banks --- Well, I have a 'full Banks' on my Ford 460, and the weld broke where the 4 header pipes connect to the 8" diameter (well maybe 4") exhaust system. Banks says it has a lifetime guarantee, but when I contacted them about it, they told me to have it welded locally, and that’s it. So much for their lifetime guarantee. I had posted this info on another forum a while ago, and now here. Maybe some body will think a second longer about this company and its word. I would have mentioned this to you earlier Hilarlee, but I had no idea what you had for equipment, other than a 'Barth' as is the case with most posts here.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Your experience and mine don't seem to jive. I am surprised that the tow truck driver would not put the driveshaft back in if he was asked while he was there.

Now, If they called after they had left then I could see an additional charge to return and reinstall the shaft. In this area driveshafts are reinstalled if the driver request it.

I installed a Bank system on my 91 Barth with the 460 EFI. I hope a weld doesn't break but if it does I'll yank it back off and weld it. I do think their prices are rather high but the detail for the kit and the parts all matched up and bolted in without too much difficulty.

I purchased the kit because of difficulty getting the correct crossover pipe and both manifolds would not reseal to the heads. After putting in the headers and rest of the kit I have had no additional exhaust related issues.

The only problem with my kit was the EGR tube. the tube is no longer made. I had to get another type of EGR tube for a 460 bus motor. I heated it up and put a very slight bend in it I then picked up two additional stock Ford EGR fittings to get it to line up.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to Good Sam Emergency towing I was told (twice) that they do not offer a priming service for diesels. And what kills me about the loser tow truck driver was he never offered to put the drive shaft back on for a charge. He took off while I chased him down the street. It wasn't until I called Good Sam and the towing company via conference call did I learn it is not part of the Good Sam service. They could send back the tow truck to put it back on for another $75. You know I spoke to the general manager and the customer support representative in person about this entire ordeal and they both looked at me with dumb blank stares and made comments of sympathy. What really surprises me the most is this senior mechanic doesn't even know how to put a drive shaft back on. And hey Gunner, because I received a deal through a promotion isn't an excuse to perform shotty service. Thats total Bull*hit. And it wasn't a franchise, it was the factory that performed the service. At the moment I want to know why they only gave me one hr.s credit for not having to put a turbo on. I'm sure thats a 4 hr. job in itself.

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Well, I sure would never think that a good price is any excuse for shoddy work. I think that all of the moons, planets & stars were aligned just right for a whole lot of trouble being heaped on you.

Let's face it, If the job was done right then none of this other stuff would have come into play! I would stick to the root cause of your problems and that's Banks. All of the other stuff that happend can be traced back to Banks. From your breakdown to your towing to the driveshaft to your posts here all has the one common denominator BANKS.

I have done fuel reprimes for Coachnet and Cross Country Motor Club but looking back thru my computer search feature I have never done it for GoodSams club.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I've been following this thread and now have to chime in. This has nothing to do with Banks,[I have a gasser], but we often talk about road service. Last year on the way to Talladega we spit a water pump and died on the side of the road about 9 miles out of Syllicauga Alabama. One call to AAA had a tow on the way and Adam's Towing and Service brought us in to town, helped us out on what we needed, and charged us next to nothing. We did the work ourselves, using thier air tools and workspace, but the thing that impressed me then, and even more now, was the guy re-installed the drive shaft as part of the service. When I asked him if he really had to disconnect it to tow it he said, "No, but I wouldn't tow it without disconnecting it."
I grew up in Michigan, and I've lived in Florida for 30 years, but I love Alabama!!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Danny could be right.....the fuel filter falling off and the wiring harness leaping into the path of my alternator belt. It sure seems odd though because my records indicate the fuel filter was changed 2 years ago (about 4200 miles)and it sure seems odd that it would fall off after someone (Banks) had to remove the fuel filter housing bolts to install the intake plate. Plus the wiring harness that was routed to the inside of the AC unit was oddly routed to the outside of the compressor next to the running belt...a very big mistake by a mechanic. Well thanks everyone for listening and remember you diesel pushers, carry the appropriate tools and disposable gloves in case you should need to re-install your driveshaft.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Regarding the drive shaft issue. On my Barth, (Deere/Ford 460 gas) the parking brake is on the drive shaft, and when the drive shaft is disconnected, there is no way to keep the coach from moving other than blocking the wheels. If this is the case with yours (Barth owners) make sure all is secured before you roll under it to connect or remove the drive shaft.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of that, but looking back, I remember the coach was secured to the tow truck and ready to go before the guy ever went underneath to dis the driveshaft. Also, he reattached the shaft before lowering the front back to the ground.
Also, I wasn't trying to stand up for anyone who does a less than satisfactory job, just trying to give a little credit to the guys who DO take pride in their profession, and I think we've demonstrated with this thread that tow-truck driving, especially when large vehicles are concerned, is a profession.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post