Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Brakes and Steering Fluid Reservore Again
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Brakes and Steering Fluid Reservore Again
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Right
He said they had a mech helper put trans fluid by mistake into a brake system and had to bleed it all out.

Now isn't there a new fluid that works in both systems?
Called ATF or something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Pay him to help you!

Posts: 30 | Location: Havasu Lake Calif USA | Member Since: 04-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordonb:
PS I first approached the wrench in town about the cost to check all fittings and bleed the brakes. This was before I did anything. He said he can't give me a price untill he gets into the system and pulls it apart

WRONG ANSWER

He doesn't want to get wrapped up in helping you for a set price. He should have told you a price by the hour. If he brakes a bleeder screw off in the brake wheel cylinder he want to make sure he gets paid for his time.

He is coming to you. He is not on flat rate. I sure he could give you a price on changing a headlight but to give you a price for something that could get him indeep is not realistic.

Your talking about the brakes. Not a headlight. The problem with flat rate is it makes the mechanic take shortcuts and you don't want that on a brake system.

Lets say he finds out your wheel cylinder is leaking and he rips it down and goes for parts. Now he needs to be paid for his time. Lets say the parts need to be ordered and he has to return. Still needs to get paid for his time.

All I do is road service. I need to be paid for my time. I agree with him as far as not giving out a price. It's not like he can turn his back and work on another car while the parts for your coach gets delivered. He is stuck on your job until he gets finished.

Come to an understanding with him about pricew per hour. It is up to you to have him stop or keep going. You control his pay. Pay for his time. Stand over his shoulder. If you slow him down it will cost you. He is getting paid by the hour.

they call this: Time and material!

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK

Probably a good idea to flush the system anyway because the rig is 18 yrs old and the past owners didn't leave me a service log.

Maybe the chassis book gives me step by step information on flushing that side of the system.

I am handy with tools and have done wrench work and a machinist for 18 yrs but that is apples and oranges and you guys are really smart with this stuff keeping trucks running.

I just wish my friend harry who is a retired truck driver for over 25 yrs would not have told me that was the break reservore because he has a Pace Arrow

I took a quick check of the line coming from the bottom and said Yes that looks like it does go to the master break unit.

DUH

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I mean this kindly: The recommendation to drain and flush the system is sound. While you may be right that the brake fluid hasn't migrated to the rest of the system, you may also be wrong.

Now, Bill has many years of keeping trucks running, and I have many years of being paid handsomely (well, sometimes not) for my advice regarding lubricants.

We both agree that the safest route is to flush the power steering system.

When I was an oil peddler, I used to tell my prospects and customers, "Oil's cheaper than metal."

It still is.

Posts: 30 | Location: Havasu Lake Calif USA | Member Since: 04-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

NO!!!! ATF is "Automatic Transmission Fluid". That's what usually goes into the power sterring system and, obviously, the automatic transmission.

The two fluids are about as far apart on specs as one can get on a vehicle, and that's what your wrench-friend was referring to about the helper screwing up....putting ATF into a brake system.

It's like trying to make fried eggs, using oranges as a substitute for eggs....

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:

ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid.

It is like power steering fluid.

DOT brake fluid is very clear. YOU CAN NOT MIX THE TWO

You can put ATF in the power steering. Don't put steering fluid in the transmission.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just wish my friend harry who is a retired truck driver for over 25 yrs would not have told me that was the break reservore because he has a Pace Arrow

I work on things that truck drivers know all about. They don't. There are very few drivers that can fix a truck. Take advice from people in the know. Harry doesn't know, ya know.

posted Hide Post
Ok
That was not the Letters Jerry gave me then

Must of been AT/BF

Automatic Trans / Brake Fluid

OK OK

Back to my chev chassis book
:-)

Nobody here wants to work on motorhomes.

quote:

ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid.

It is like power steering fluid.

DOT brake fluid is very clear. YOU CAN NOT MIX THE TWO

You can put ATF in the power steering. Don't put steering fluid in the transmission.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Must of been AT/BF

Automatic Trans / Brake Fluid

There is no such thing!

PLEASE, PAY SOMEONE TO HELP YOU!

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no such thing!

Amen! Or at least spend your money on some really big and loud horns.

Sheeesh, Gordon, we're not trying to give you a hard time, we're trying to save you from one.

I'm going to bore you with my credentials: I was a fuels and lubes field engineer for a major oil company for years. In the Navy, I was one of four (nationwide) Fuels and Lubricants Technical Officers. I also was annointed as an Expert Witness for litigation regarding lubricants application. I've also been an auto mechanic and a ship's Chief Engineer.

Now, I don't know diddly about sewing, or playing the piano, or masonry work, but I do know my way around lubricants.

Bill also knows what he's talking about.

You have the advice of two knowledgeable people, who aren't trying to make things difficult for you, but rather to help you save money and enjoy safe motoring.

Besides, one hasn't really lived until he's had ATF run down his arm and soak his shirt....

Further, affiant sayeth naught.

------------------
Rusty

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
5.67 Miles from Havasu Lake California

Allen-Wrench
3148 North Palo Verde,
Lake Havasu City,
Arizona United States

(928) 486-4891
(928) 486-4891
(928) 505-1003

I don't know him but maybe he can help. Call and talk to him. The worst thing is you don't use him. He does road service and is right down the road from you.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited February 14, 2006).]

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I also was annointed as an Expert Witness for litigation regarding lubricants application.

So mister Rusty. Let the records show that he is in fact not rusty just old. So your expert recommendation was to buy really big horns. Is that correct? Are you an expert on horns too?

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If not brakes, horns. You know the drill!

I'm not old! I'm just....give me a minute, I'll remember...I'm just....just....

Can I get back to you on that?

------------------
Rusty

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Gordon, i'm sorry I got into this so late, but as far as I can tell from my Chevy orange book, you have one or the other of two different types of brake systems, either standard vacuum boost brakes, or Hydro-Boost.

The vacuum boost system looks, and works just like the power brake system in your car. The Hydro-Boost is a complicated-looking device with hydraulic hoses attached to it. The master cylinder is mounted on the forward end of the vacuum booster or the Hydro-Boost, whichever you have. In either case, the master cylinder looks just like any split system master cylinder with a stamped steel cover over a double reservoir, and a heavy wire bail holding it down.

If you put brake fluid into anything except the master cylinder, it's most likely the power steering pump. As soon as you start the engine, the fluid circulates, and the advice to drain and flush the system holds.

The book says ,"Power steering and brake fluid cannot be mixed. If brake seals contact steering fluid, or steering seals contact brake fluid, seal damage will result."

I wish I could tell you which system you have, and exactly where to find the master cylinder, but I haven't crawled around my own rig (33' '90 Regal) enough to find it. I've done the tag axle bit, but not the main brakes.

Most likely you have Hydro-Boost, and access to the master cylinder is probably through the left front wheel well. Don't shoot me if it isn't there, and if you find it let us all know.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I WAS KIDDING FOR GODS SAKES

Anyway thanks to everyone who has posted on this subject.

I will let ya all know how it ends up.

going to remove the small abount of Dot from the Reserve cup today

Sure glad I didn't tell you I put Gas in my Diesel Tank
:-)

quote:
There is no such thing!

BTW: you can reply without the quotes by going to the bottom of the page and clicking on this

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited February 14, 2006).]

posted Hide Post
I like the BIG HORN idea. I Went thru the whole orange book last nite after I turned the computer off at 8pm ca time

Amazing on one page they show the steering fluid reservore but I still not sure that is what it really is but they never in the whole book mark it as anything.

they show both brake systems and today I will figure out which one I have. The master cyl looks different from the one in the book from the bottom anyway.

It was my dream to own a barth and I will learn my rig because for sure I can't afford a new coach for 200,000 they are trying to sell me.

And not up to Barth standards