Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    400 th transmission
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

400 th transmission
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I drove in about 80 miles fron lake an got 1 5miles from home and barth would not come out of low gear.fluid is ok not burnt.this is a 400th trans. could not shift out. any help? thanks James

Posts: 29 | Location: Alton Mo. | Member Since: 05-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Check the vacuum hose to the modulator valve. It may have slipped off, if it has become enlarged or softened by oil. It's located on the rear of the transmission drivers side (I think). About the size of a shot glass.

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do what Mark said first. You should feel engine vacuum at the modulator hose. The modulator can be leak tested by blowing in it with your mouth. Use soapy water to test for leaks.

The external accessible parts that cause upshifts are the modulator and governor, acting together. A modulator problem will usually result in a late, hard shift. Sometimes, although less often, a modulator will cause early, soft shifts, even at high throttle positions. Max upshift speed is 45 -48 mph when warm. A governor problem will usually result in no upshift period. Ever.

Disconnect the electrical connector on the trans and see what happens. Could be a detent problem.

Check the governor and its polyamide drive gear. It is under a four bolt stamped metal cover. Forgot which side. Pull it out and check if the teeth have been chewed off the gear or if it is not free to move. Sometimes the governor will be a little tight in its bore and the added load will cause the worm on the shaft to eat the teeth on the plastic drive gear. If it eats one gear, It is likely it will eat another one, as replacing the gear does not address the reason it ate its teath. I had to ease the bore the case on one with a brake cylinder hone.

If you don't find anything, it is probably time for a line pressure test. This will detect internal problems which can also affect upshifting. I can send you copies of the procedure if you want to try it yourself.

I never give up on a trans until I have used Trans X for a little while.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I replaced grvernor last night it is working fine now. the plastic gear was eat up. also clean vaul body up no trash in pan. i thank it is ok now.I had allready tryed tran x in it. thanks to all .James

Posts: 29 | Location: Alton Mo. | Member Since: 05-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Paul/ 1975-p30-md23>
posted
Have had about same trouble .changed govnner,kickdown switch,mogler valve,vacum line,fluid & filter,added transX .Still had same problem so put on bigger fuel pump and new inline fuel filter. I hate to tell but the filter in the carb cured the problem. One thing for sure I now have some used spare parts and it runs,shifts and pulls good now. I pull a cj7 jeep and 17ft bass boat when going to lake . have fun Paul

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
So if this was me and I had taken it to Aamco, how much cash would I be out by now.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 29, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Bill H for advice. I change fuel filter when i bought it. I have only had this one about 6 months, it had been sitting since 1996 an not been moved. do this have ele. fuel pumps? mine is a 1979 29 ft. also hi paul you live in my neck of the woods mid west. I had a pace arrow be fore, the wookmship is a lot better in the barth. I am going to paint mine because it is to much work to shine this one up. we hope all a good forth of july. thanks to all for advice James

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
James, you probably have a Carter rotary electric fuel pump above the tank. Turn on your ignition and listen.

There is a filter by the frame rail near the entry door and one in the carb inlet.

If it ate one governor gear, it will probably eat another. Replacing the gear does not address the cause of the problem. Carry a spare, a roll pin and a 1/8 drift pin and a drill. I did it twice or thrice before I got tired of it and honed the bore. Interestingly, I have not read of this in any manuals.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill H I will get a spare gear also I think this fall i will take trans out an take it to a shop an have it rebilt. James