Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    lp kohler generator problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

lp kohler generator problems
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
I have a 7.5kw lp powered kohler genset that has just started acting up. Unit will start with no problems, run fine with or without load for maybe 10 to 15 mins. tops then start to slow down and then quit. Liquid supply of lp is 1/2 tank. I don't think there is a filter in system (first thing I thot of)so looking for troubleshooting ideas as I don't have a rv repair place I trust to work on it around here. thanks guys.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Try removing the air cleaner and let it run. If that solves the problem you have an intake combustion air restriction. If it is similar to mine this is mounted in an open bay in the front of the coach so cooling should not be a problem. That said I had a thermostat stick and the genset will shut down when the temp reaches about 200 degrees. Check your temp gauage (before doing the air cleaner test) and if the temp is high when it quits then you have the same problem I had. Remove the thermostat, put in a boiling pot of water with Baking Soda and cook for about five minutes. Run cold water over it and if it closes properly, reinstall. If not replace.
Good luck.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
thanks for the ideas Hawk-57 I'll try running sans air cleaner (which looks good) I don't have a temp gauge for my Kohler as it is air cooled and I don't think there is a thermostat in system...

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's a remote possibility that there's moisture in your LP tank - and when the gas expands to run in the carburator, the system ices up...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You may have a LP vapor converter that has filled with oil. When I re-made the generator housing I cleaned this up abit, was going to completely go thru it but it required some specialized equipment so I just got all the residue out and re-used it. I know this has been a problem with the Kwyatt generators and I mounted mine up high with the vapor line going straight down toward the venturi jets so not oil can build up again.

There is oil in LP gas and it will accumulate in the vapor converter/regulator. Probably not the correct reference but it is the device that converts LP liquid to gas just before it is used by the engine, It also usually has coolant going thru it to help with the vaporization.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

There is oil in LP gas and it will accumulate in the vapor converter/regulator.

I wonder if that oil also accumulates in the propane tank. I have oil in the lines to my barbecue and the Portable Buddy heater. I am concerned with the oil fouling the burner in our portable Buddy heater. At present I use a filter in the line.

[edited by Bill N.Y.]
At this point, Bill H started another thread. Anyone wanting to know the outcome of oil in propane should read up at this thread. oil in propane
[/end edit]

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told that it will accumulate in the tank by a propane dealer here but have not had a chance to confirm, if there is enough to get into the lines and foul the vapor regulator, probably would be enough to gradually accumulate in the tank. I would also assume that oil would be more of a problem in liquid propane (used for the generator) then in the vapor side that is used for the stove, furnace, and water heater. I didn't see any evidence of oil in the furnace line when I change the furnace last year.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
some good ideas here for me...any idea how to rid propane system and tank of water? Also, Mwrench, how far apart were you able to dissemble the lp vapourizer in order to clean out oil residue? Mine looks like a small space ship (or 2 dinner plates front to front) with a perimeter of screws holding it together..did you seperate by removing those screws? Can vapourizer just be disconnected and blown out with air? Think I'll also disconnect liquid supply hose at both ends and blow it out as well. thanks again guys

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

posted Hide Post
I did not take mine apart but just turned it so the output line was pointing down, (without the attached hose to the engine, I used some biodegradable degreaser and put into the regulator, again into the output hole and sloshed it around, drained it and flushed with water, did not blow dry because the pressures might blow out the diaphragm, used a hair dryer to heat it so it would dry before I re-installed it.

If you disconnect the regulator, and turn it as mentioned, and oil comes out I am sure that could lead to the type of failure you are describing. Mine looks like you describe and I think it is referred to as a Beam Regulator. if it is mounted below the venturi jets on the engine it will fill with oil.

The carburetor is not used except for the throttle to control speed, the propane vapor is feed to a venturi jet setup just ahead of the air intake to the carburetor. This probably needs cleaning as well.

As the Beam regulator uses engine heated coolant to circulate thru the vaporizer, I don't think any moisture would get thru to freeze, It does get quite hot during operation.

Will post pictures in a few minutes after I get them loaded to my website.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Here is what my set up looks like after modification.

Sorry, it looks like the labels are to small, here is a link to the original picture that you can download.

Beam regulator

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beeoh:
some good ideas here for me...any idea how to rid propane system and tank of water? Also, Mwrench, how far apart were you able to dissemble the lp vapourizer in order to clean out oil residue? Mine looks like a small space ship (or 2 dinner plates front to front) with a perimeter of screws holding it together..did you seperate by removing those screws? Can vapourizer just be disconnected and blown out with air? Think I'll also disconnect liquid supply hose at both ends and blow it out as well. thanks again guys

beeoh what ever happened. Were you able to get this resolved. What did you end up doing to get things running right? I had thought I had everything running correctly until I tried running for longer than 5 minutes. It now shuts down anywhere from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
after trying everything and replacing regulator kohler would still not start and run reliably. I decided that we mainly used gen set to run micro/convection oven and not much else. I removed genset...replaced microwave/convection oven with an 800w microwave and now just use solar panels, 6v. golf cart batteries and a Xantrex inverter/charger. A bonus was increased storage where genset was. we have had no issues since the swap and enjoy the quiet power source. I kept kohler if we ever decide to sell Barth in future. Wife did miss oven so bought a little portable gas oven that works fine outside.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
You must either:
a) Do not dry camp or
b) live north of the Mason-Dixon line where Air Conditioning is not a necessity!! B.C. does qualify!

ROTFLMAO

please accept the above sarcasm in the spirit in which it was dispensed

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.