Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Why is this hissing at me?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Why is this hissing at me?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
When I walked by the Barth after shutting the engine down, I heard a hissing sound. I popped open the genset access door and noticed this devive which had 2 air hoses coming out of it. Notice the one port with nothing on it. It has air blowing out of it. Why? Is this device broken? I cannot seem to find any hoses that could have fallen off of it. I will post pictures.

Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
That is your venturi vacuum valve. It pushes compressed air through the valve at the top and then it exhausts to the outside. That is where the dash heat and ac gets its vacuum to operate the flap doors. It would appear to be working properly.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Well that's a relief! Thanks,

Richard

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If that venturi vacuum generator keeps hissing until there is no air pressure left in the tank (with the engine off) then it or the regulator just above it is defective. It also may be that you have a vacuum leak somewhere and so in order for the vacumm to be maintained it will keep bleeding air to try to generate vacuum. Both of mine crapped out and I replaced them with an electrical vacuum pump as the venturi generators are no longer available, originally made for Ford diesels.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Mwrench,

Do you have a picture of your new setup?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard, No I don't have any pictures but can get some in a day or two. At the beach for the 4th.

My setup is fairly simple but does require a motorized vacuum pump, I tried the Volvo pump but it didn't last long. It didn't pull enough vacuum when I was at higher elevations and would run continuously.

You probably have another of those venturi vacuum generators in the back to run your cruise control, I replaced my entire cruise control with an unit from a late model Chev truck.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Ed, it looks like my cruise control is electrically controlled.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I discovered another potential cause of excessive leak down the other day. On the front of my Regency near the venturi is a small circuit breaker block with two blade fuses 20A. My son noticed that one of the fuses was crooked and that a bad connetion in the block had melted the plastic. I replaced the fuse after cleaning the melted area and the venturi air leak stopped. Now my tank pressure remains high much longer.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Turns out the fuse was for the high speed fan selection on the dash heater/AC not the vacumn leak.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post