Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Awnings
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Awnings
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I know I have posted before in regards to Zip Dee Awnings...we are at the point where we need to put a patio awning on our coach, it had no awnings from new. We are looking at a brand new 18' Zip Dee and WOW are they expensive (you need Prevost money for these things). I have checked around for a salvage awning with no luck. So I guess we take the plunge and do the patio awning for now. Also for those of you that have window awnings on the street side, how often do you really use them? I am trying to economize an put only the patio awning on thinking the window awnings are more "window dressing" then a necessity. Once again any advice is appreciated.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"window awnings on the street side, how often do you really use them"
We use ours more often than the Patio. Windows may be left open without fear of rain; sun shield; and protection from the dreaded one-million-candlepower pole light at some RV Parks.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
We installed Zip-Dee window awnings only because we already had a Zip-Dee patio awning. Otherwise we probably would have shopped another brand. We too use the window awnings more than the patio awning.

You might compare prices with other brands, remembering to compare acrylic fabric rather than vinyl. The woven fabric is more expensive whatever brand you use.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We boondock almost exclusively, so can park any way we want. We usually park pointed East, so the patio and entry door are sheltered from the North wind. Also, pointing East allows good tilting of the solar panels.

So, the sun never shines in the drivers side windows and we seldom use the awnings.

If I ever replace my awnings, I would want the ones with aluminum over the rolled up awning. If your RV sits out a lot, the awning will die up close to the rail from sun and weather exposure without the aluminum. The aluminum protected awning will last perhaps twice as long.

I believe in many brands, the aluminum protection is offered only on acrylic fabric, which is longer lasting on its own, too. And vinyl gets a little ratty looking and discolored as the years go on.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Just had a thought here..............Wouldn't be terrible to need an awning on an older "stick and staple" MH? It would really hurt to spend big bucks on a coach that was slowly deteriorating and would be replaced in a few years. I put a used awning on a Prowler that was so rickety that I had to use through bolts and a backing plate for the big mounting bolts.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nobody's mentioned A&E by Dometic yet so I will. We have this on our coach and it works great. I've seen them in the Campers World flyers and they don't seem too out of line cost wise, and if you mean an Xtra room enclosure they can do that too. Not from personal experience but some folks might tell you to buy a bag of zip ties to provide an extra measure of on the road security. I've never had a problem, but then again I own a Barth. [hee hee]

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canopy Roller Spring Problem-

I found this thread in the archives and thought I would bump it back up to ask an important Zippy Dee Awning question.

While setting up at the campsite this weekend, I deployed our 18ft. Zippy Dee as usual. When it came down, it did so with an uncharacteristic, loud, racking bang and also ripping a few stitches on one end of the spring roller fabric loop, and can be easially resewn. I didn't think too much about it until we started packing up for home. The canopy had lost its spring tension. I suspect the roller sping came loose or broke at either the motor or idle end. It took three of us to roll the canopy back up and secure with wire. My canopy is 20+ years old but the fabric and hardware (other than the spring?) is still in good shape.
1. Wondering if I can still find a replacment spring?
2. Wondering if this is a do-it-yourself job? I've had a little experience with overhead door springs and it's not an easy fix for the do-it-yourselfer.
3. Wondering if the spring actually broke or just came loose on one end? If this is the case, I would need instructions on how to re-tension the spring.
4. Wondering if it would be more prudent to try to fix or go for an entirely new system?
Has anyone else experienced this scenario?
Thanks,
Don

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
High winds in Muddy Gap Pass in Wyoming unfurled my awning at 60mph 2 years ago.
No damage except soiled driver's seat and broken spring. I called ZipDee and they sent a new spring complete with instructions for installation and tensioning - a piece of cake! Cost was very reasonable.
Note: I was "outside the service area of a ZipDee dealer" and that apparently was a qualifier, so if you call ZipDee let 'em know there is no local dealer.
Note 2: I re-riveted the fabric into the roller arm where it had torn loose at rivets.
Note 3: To "untwist" the spring -if it isn't broken- may require a good strong grip on the coach end of the supporting arm as you unwind it.
I kept the instructions and if you need them let me know. Gunner

------------------

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Any brand of awning can unfurl while driving if the winds are perverse enough, unless the roller is positively locked.

There are several methods and devices out there. Mine is simple, quick and cheap.

Here's mine:

Drill a 1/4" hole at 3 o'clock on the outside of the end drum. Bend a 3/16" rod with a hook at one end to go in the hole and an eye at the other end. The rod should be long enough for you to reach the hole from the ground, but short enough to store easily. #9 wire works, too. Attach a metal spring (or even a strong bungee) between the eye and the hole in the bottom of the arm, using a small chain or cable and an S hook. In use, the hooked end of the rod goes in the hole, the other end of the rod is permanently attached to the spring or bungee, and the spring or bungee is attached to the hole in the foot of the arm by means of the cable and “S” hook.

Additionally, an O ring can be slipped over the A&E raise/lower lever to provide additional friction to keep it in the "raise" position when traveling.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have a Carefree of Colorado awning and it has a huge locking cotter pin that would have to break before it could unfurl, or of course I could forget to put it in...hope that doesn't ever happen.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds neat. Got a picture?

posted Hide Post
Hey Gunner,

I'd appreciate a copy of the repair instructions. I have the original Owner's Manual with complete parts # lists, but no instructions of how to repair a sprung spring or how to re-tension same.

Thanks
Don

My E-addy is dogill@bellsouth.net

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Anything for you Bill:

This pin attachs the extending arm to the arm that is securely fastened to the coach.

To pull down the awning one just needs to pull the handle on both sides shown here till it clicks in place. Then after the awning is extended the handle clicks back in secureing the awning in place.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 07, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Good pictures, Dave. Except I almost fell backwards out of my chair looking at the second to last one.

I'm not there, but it looks like the pin is real good for holding the arms in. However, I wonder if the roller can unroll anyway.

I know folks who have had their awning unfurl while driving and had their arms secured.

I know for a fact that the little lever lock on the forward end of A&E rollers is not reliable.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 07, 2005).]

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"However, I wonder if the roller can unroll anyway."
Yeah. The ballon actually is pretty much vertical above the side of the coach, since the wind is beneath/inside it. We couldn't see it (it was above us). I think if the arms were free the awning balloon would hold them against the coach -at least until one slowed down or the high winds ceased, when it would perhaps fall away?

------------------