Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    KOHLER MODEL 7CCKM LP GEN-CHANGE FILTER
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

KOHLER MODEL 7CCKM LP GEN-CHANGE FILTER
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
HI,
My 7.5kw generator stalls after running about 5 min. It then begins to run rough. According to the manual, I need to replace the lp propane filter. There are no pics on the internet including on the Kohler website. Does anyone have any info on how to do this? Thanks,

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with Kohler LP generators but the Kwyatt is what I have.

I had similar problems and found that it was the Beam regulator was all gummed up with oil that comes along with propane. I rebuilt the regulator and it is now good again. Supposedly I needed special tools and measuring equipment to set up the regulator but all I did was replace the diaphragms and needles and seats, didn't change or adjust any springs.

I found later that you can by a new regulator for about the same cost as a rebuild kit.

I don't have a filter so I cannot comment about that.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
I am having the same problem with our Kohler and but don't have a manual..hope somebody has some ideas on what needs to be fixed and a source for the parts needed.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend that is in the small engine/generator repair biz and has a complete library of Kohler and more.

I will check with him for you if that would work.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The engine could be balking for other reasons, as well. Such as loss of ignition.

Is the plug fresh and gapped at .018" ?

Sometimes a coil will fail when it gets warm. This could be checked by rigging up an NE51H lamp in series in a piece of plug lead to make a tester in the spark lead. you can use regular wire if you keep it away from metal. This would check for spark.

Sometimes part of the protective circuitry can cut off the 12 volts to the coil. Such as overheating, low oil pressure, etc. Or a rogue relay could be doing it. Kohlers run the ignition through a lot of relays. A hot light on the coil + terminal would tell the tale. Or, a jumper from the hot term on the start solenoid to the + on the coil would eliminate that possibility for test purposes by bypassing the protective circuitry.

An engine can balk when warm if expansion has caused a leak in the intake to open up.

My Kohler genset is a 7CKM21 powered by a K-582 engine. I can also offer a copy of the operating manual. I can send wiring diagrams if that will help.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
The engine could be balking for other reasons, as well. Such as loss of ignition.
I have a little more info - I talked to Rick yesterday and he stated that the regulator was "Frozen". According to Rick - the manual said a frozen regulator was a sign of a bad filter.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
Could bad circulation of antifreeze occur to the regulator, then it would also freeze. I also had problem with my Dometic (would not start)in which the regulator was contaminated with oil: problem solved after replacing it.

Mike

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

The regulators are brand new and were professionally installed by a Kohler technician. I will try to get the filter changed in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
since my Kohler 7.5 didn't come with a manual, it would be helpful to me to view a diagram of the plumbing that is involved to get the propane to the carb of the generator. Is the filter separate from the regulator? If one is contaminated with oil is the other too? How accessible are both for servicing? Does generator have to be dropped to do this servicing? Boy, you can tell I don't know much about this!! I can use all the help I can get.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm going a bit from memory, since I replaced the Kohler with a gaso-powered Honda.

First, no, the genset doesn't have to be removed (and from experience, I can attest, that's a Very Good Thing).

My Kohler didn't have a filter. There was a regulator on the propane tank, and another on the genset. I really have to wonder if any LPG genset would have a filter, as there is (speaking as a recovering fuels/lube engineer) no need for one.

LPG (as well as natural gas) does come with lower ends (larger molecules of hydrocarbons) imbedded. Some may be large enough to clog the regulator, and the filter, if there really is one.

Actually a propane filter would be a separator, discarding the lower ends into a bowl. One wouldn't expect to find a screen-type filter in an LPG run.

Your issue does seem to be one of fuel flow, however, so I think you're on the right track. I suspect the regulator. If the stove and furnace run properly, the one at the genset is the rpime suspect.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Going off ancient memory. I had a 7KW Kohler propane powered when we had the bus. Fed it with a 60 gallon tank so it worked pretty good. Ran liquid out of the tank directly to the evaporater, filter and yes it would sometimes freeze up. Learned to live with it.

The evaporater/regulator was mounted on the cylinder head. The reason was to keep it warm. When the weather was cool I used to run the genset for about 15minutes before putting much of a load on it. Needed to get the head warm Once the engine was warmed up I never had a problem.

Now propane has an oil added to provide ordor. If you only do short run times the oil will accumulate in the evaporater. Sometimes you can just get things warmed up, put a good load on the genset and let it run for about 4 or 5 hours. This will tend to get the oil out of the regulator.

There is no carb, just an orfice that is adjustable with a wing nut type control. Sometimes this may need a tweak.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
so let me get this straight...my Kohler may or may not have a filter...to fix the problem of genset running fine on startup and with load until it starts to stumble after 10 or 15 minutes...I should either clean filter if its there...replace the regulator with a new one or if not, run genset with load for up to 5 hours to clear oil from regulator. I'm now a little more confused than before.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It may or may not have a filter. Unlike gasoline engines which have fuel pumps, LPG engines rely on the pressure in the fuel tank. This is dropped down to around 10-15 psi at the carburetor. Since that engine will burn over 1 gph, and it runs for 10-15 minutes it doesn't sound like a filter problem, as there's not enough gas in just the supply line to run it that long, and LPG is far less susceptible to impurities than gaso.

I just don't think that mercaptan, the odorizer, would have anything to do with the problem, as it mixes well with gas, and is only there in a few
parts per million. Heavier ends in the gas may have gummed something up, but again, I don't think there would be enough - they're found in natural gas, but LPG is processed more.

That all points to something like a regulator gradually closing down - an internal leak, perhaps? Or if there's water in the system, an orifice could be icing up, which would more liekly be the main one, which regulates all the house propane fittings.

Did the genset run alright for a while after the replacement regulators were installed? Getting a bad one isn't unusual. Usually when replacing regulators, a technician will flush the lines; do you know if that were done?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
Richard's post was about having his regulators replaced...I have yet to do anything as I'm trying to isolate the problem. After about 15 minutes of running under load my unit starts to stumble and I can smell propane from the exhaust.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Missed that. Propane smell indicates either a too-rich mixture (carburetor, or more likely, regulator) or a spark problem (Coil failing when it gets hot).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke