Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Who, in their right mind, would---
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Who, in their right mind, would---
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
put a piece of electronics outside right over the rear axle?

Cruise control brain box:

Inside the box:

And of course, this is what I found inside:

Any wonder why it didn't work?

After cleaning the PCB:

Does it work now? Don't know, I don't have the time to check it out before I leave next Tuesday. I have never liked a vacuum system for cruise control and I will be changing the system to an all electric system after I get back from this trip. I will post how I do it in the Barth Upgrade section.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Who? Prolly the same geniousi who made the main ground block in my Breakaway external, - an Al block, with steel screws holding Cu wire - and outside...with no grease...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Who in their right mind would......?

Maybe the same folks who put the anti skid electronics unit in the wheel well of an airliner. Tire dust, brake dust, runway salt, reverser soot and skydrol. Took them years to relocate it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps the oneswho put the brake master cylinder behind the front wheel so that even when you do get to it the only way to check fluid level is reach up and stick your finger in it!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Don't throw away that circuit board. The mfg does not have a replacement board. Mine does not work either (mounted in engine compartment), but there is only one major circuit on it and that is the IC. Going to tear mine out and try to identify and then find a replacement chip. If it works I could fix yours and then have a spare.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Not to worry Gary, if I replace the entire system, which is most likely, these parts will be available. I never throw anything away, just ask my wife!!! Big Grin

I will know more on Tuesday when we head out if the corrosion was the root cause of the failure. The relay in the box along with the control box was corroded also.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Not to worry Gary, if I replace the entire system, which is most likely, these parts will be available. I never throw anything away, just ask my wife!!! Big Grin

Wise - I threw something away in 1957 and needed it right away in 1986...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Wilson's first law of retroaction:

Defines the relationship between the length of time one has kept a usable artifact for which one has no immediate need, and the length of time in which one actually needs it after the artifact has at last been discarded.

THE LAW: The length of time one has kept such an artifact is inversely proportional to the length of time in which one needs it after it has at last been thrown away, e.g., keep it 30 years, need it 30 seconds after the garbage man has carted it away.

This law has an ancillary relationship to Wilson's Corollary to Parkinson's Law, which corollary states: Junk expands to fill the space available.

(Parkinson's Law, as you all know, relates to work in any bureaucracy, public or private, and states: Work expands to fill the time available.)

The ancillary relationship between the law of retroaction and the corollary, arises from the fact that eventually operation of the corollary will result in junk filling all the available space, necessitating either a) discarding old junk to make way for new, or b) discarding the new junk right away.

In view of the operation of the corollary, some might argue the latter is the preferable course, though there is the alternative of acquiring additional space, if one's economic status permits.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
In my recent endevor to bring my 83 Regal to road worthyness I have come to the conclusion that the carpenter at Barth that wired my unit was issued four blue butt splices for every six foot length of #14 wire. I am certain that not a piece of wire was thrown into the trash over six inches long. I found six blue butt splices within each cabinet that has a lamp with door activated switch (which all were corroded).

I've got pretty good at the western union splice, solder, electrical coating and shrink tubing...

I just had to vent too...

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post